Olympus Live Time / Live Bulb and LCD brightness

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jrsilva, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've got the OM-D EM-5 Mark II for about 5 months or so, but only this weekend I've had the right chance to try the Live Time feature.
    I must say I get disappointed with this feature... I really don't like the way the LCD brightness decreases so much when you enter one of the Live modes.
    The brightness decreases so much that one have some difficulty trying to see how the picture is going. What you see on the LCD is not definitely what you get.

Other annoying think is the fact that after a few seconds the LCD stops doing the refresh and I ended up with over-exposed pictures although the last frame that shows on the LCD before stop refreshing is not over-exposed.

I admit that I may be doing something wrong, so I'm looking for help from someone that had already tried this feature with success.

One more note: I've played with the brightness LCD option on the Menu. I had the brightness compensation turned Off for all modes, but then I've turned on for Manual Mode and Live Time/Bulb (I don't have the camera with me right now but that's what I think I've made right off the top of my head).

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like you've already found the brightness compensation option for manual/live mode, I actually prefer the dimming for when I'm doing night time astrophotography but I can see how it can be annoying for long exposures during more normal hours. TBH I rely on the updating histogram more than the actual scene preview. The number of preview limit is unfortunately as annoying as you've found - you have to set the preview interval to a conservative figure so you don't run over...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, try enabling live view BOOST.

Barry

4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Yes, I have played with the brightness compensation but it does not solve the problem.
    I believe that for astrophotography it is not a problem, but I'm doing long exposures at the sunrise and during early morning.

5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Do you mean the brightness compensation?
    If so, I've already did. It does not change anything.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
  8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    OK, answering my one question, I think I found it.
    It doesn't have to do with Live View Boost.
    There's an option to control the brightness of the LCD wile on Live Bulb or Live Time modes:
    Menu > "E" > Bulb/Time Monitor
    Mine was on -7 (I think it is the default value because I've never touch it before).
    Now I've changed to 0 (zero)

Looks much brighter now. In zero it is not the same bright as in other modes but in fact looks more natural and now I can clearly see the image taking form.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You'll have to play with Bulb/Time Monitor brightness to match the final expsosure you want, I have my E-M1 set at -3. And you have to play around to keep the updates going long enough to see when your camera reaches full exposure - just takes a little experimenting.

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's Clint.
    I've set mine to zero.
    It is still a bit darker than the brightness of the other speed settings but that's much better than the default -7.
    I will use it more during daylight.
    As for the refresh updates you're right: he must play with the settings to match the exposure time with the refresh updates.