Olympus Linked to Yakuza?!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Nov 19, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    So is this why they have been charging extra for lens hoods?

Protection money.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Far out. The more they investigate the deeper the hole. Be sure your sin will find you out.

4. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I doubt there is any big Japanese company, which is not connected to Yakuza. On the other hand, this system is working like this for long and if you see the low rate of bankrupted companies in Japan - it's working well.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1 !!! :smile:

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Well that's one way of looking at it. Guess we can't really get into it as it would devolve into a political discussion. Corruption is so insidious. It is a hydra-headed monster. Cut one off. Two grow back. It is very hard to be honest when your competitors are making money through theft and graft. Cheating breads more and more cheaters.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the word yakuza just sounds so much more cool than mafia.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the big deal? Capitalism at it's core has been built on criminality. Japanese capitalism in comparison has been fairly mild. Western capitalism has indulged in slavery, genocide and the destruction of whole civilizations. :rolleyes:

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

EX-Olympus CEO Woodford categorically denies any links to Yakuza. Woodford goes onto state that he is enjoying his retirement and working on his ink.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Honestly, that doesn't really sound good for the future of the Olympus camera division if Woodford takes over again...

This is why I like having a traditional Japanese at the helm who will fight to keep a division like Olympus cameras, which is steeped in tradition, history, and legacy... even if it turns to troubled times, or doesn't show "super-fit" profit margins.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If this sort of behavior were commonplace, you wouldn't be seeing Olympus in such trouble over these allegations.

Fact is that what Olympus has done is clearly beyond the pale so far as investors, the Tokyo stock exchange and now even the Japanese authorities are concerned. Perhaps they are not alone in this behavior, but that doesn't seem to be helping them any.

DH

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    When can I order the Yakuza tattoo / skin for my E-P3?

I am thinking instead of rings for convictions, hits, or whatever, you could add a ring for every 1K images taken.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I believe "super-fit" is used to describe operations not profits. As in no-fat, a lot of folks doing a lot of work.

Woodford probably believes that keeping the company afloat by tossing overboard lesser productive parts is better than having it sink completely. He'll rationalize that once the ship is righted ... he can always bring back the camera division.

G

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    After you lose a pinky or two.