1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus lenses on GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wiley, Feb 21, 2012.

1. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Brand new to the forum(s), and I have a question:

I currently own a GF1 with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and 7-14mm f/4. I am planning to upgrade to the GX1, but I’ve been stuck on lens changes and/or additions. My initial thought was to simply add the Panasonic 45mm f/2.8 to the existing lenses. This would give me a macro capability that I currently lack, and the fact that the Pany is supposedly not quite as much the portrait lens as the Oly 45mm f/1.8 is not my major concern (if I’m doing serious portrait shots, I’ll use my D300 and 85mm f/1.4).

However, I was also considering selling the 7-14mm and replacing it with the Oly 12mm f/2, and adding the 45mm f/1.8. I think the 7-14 is a great lens and I’ve produced great shots with it, but I rarely shoot it wider than 14mm. So, what I’m considering is moving from this kit (GF1, Pany 7-14mm f/4, Pany 20mm f/1.7) to this one (GX1, Oly 12mm f/2, Pany 20mm f/1.7, Oly 45mm f/1.8). The advantages I see are a smaller and lighter overall kit than this one (GX1, Pany 7-14mm f/4, 20mm f/1.7, 45mm f/2.8) with little, if any, tradeoffs in image quality, plus a gain of two full stops on the wide angle and 1-1/3 stop gain at 45mm.

Are there *any* limitations using the Oly lenses on the GX1? I’ve been looking, but I can’t seem to find any specific answers. Is there any other consideration I may have overlooked??

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you are not using the ultra-wide for its ultrawide capabilities, then yes the 12mm and 45mm will provide you with a much more versatile kit. You're probably missing out right now by not having that nice 45mm for portraits and such. The 12mm sounds like it'll cover what you needed your 7-14mm for. So why not? :)

And no, there will not be any limitations on these lenses with the GX1. Panasonic used to put limitations on lenses back with their older bodies (and this was NOT limited to Olympus lenses! Even the 20mm f/1.7 you have would not C-AF on some older Panasonic bodies), but this has all been updated now and your new Panasonic body should be just as compatible as Olympus bodies have always been.

3. Two that I can think of:

- No Olympus lenses have image stabilisation built into the lens like some Panasonic lenses do.
    - Olympus lenses do not have Chromatic aberration correction profiles. Panasonic bodies correct for CA when using Panasonic lenses.

Hardly crippling, but something to consider.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Wiley,
    Welcome aboard.

Since you didn't categorize your question about "limitations," I'll offer just one. Others in this community have commented on this as well. The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 fits very snugly on my GF1 and GH2. My sample fits on a colleague's GF2 very snugly as well. On a display GX1 at Samy's Camera, my 45 fits very snugly. On a friend's EPM-1, not so snugly.

I find this condition mildly irritating but not enough for me to consider the prospect of selling it.

Additionally, I find the 45 very slippery. Coupled with the snug fit, removing it from my Panasonic bodies can be a challenge. I am considering placing skateboard tape on the barrel to aid grip. This may be my own condition from years as a pistol shooter that has brought upon mild arthritis on my wrist and fingers.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would say this is only a consideration when using a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body. Panasonic lenses were made for the software correction, whereas Olympus lenses were made to be what they are, optically. So putting an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body will not change its behavior.

As for IS, the type of prime lenses he's looking at would be unlikely to have IS even if they were made by Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The PL 45 does have IS, the Oly 45 doesn't. Olympus lenses aren't exactly free of CA either, so they could still benefit from allowing Panasonic bodies to apply software correction of CA.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Very useful feedback so far. I had heard about the snugness of fit, but have not experienced it myself (not even sure where I could test it - my local store was the E Street Penn Camera in Washington, DC... but as they have been navigating the Chapter 11 waters, that store has been almost devoid of product). I wondered what software correction issues I might encounter (I primarily shoot RAW and post-process in Lightroom 3). Haven't been overly worried about the IS issue (I find I haven't missed in while using the GF1). I considered just switching to the E-P3, but the older sensor turned me off (esp. when compared to the high-ISO output of the GX1 - I did the comparison on DPReview). Too bad, really - I thought the look of the silver lenses on the silver E-P3 was gorgeous (but that obviously contributes nothing to the quality of my photos... maybe just to my fashion sense).

8. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    The longer the lens, the more useful IS becomes. I also have a GF1 w/ the 7-14 and 20, and I don't miss IS on either. I recently picked up the PL45 instead of the Oly 45 (did a lot of research and liked the character of the photos it produced more and macro is fun!). I don't consider ISO1600 on the GF1 to be acceptable, so any help in stability in crappy light conditions is a plus in my book. I find the portraits that the PL45 takes are excellent, but I'm not a people shooter, so I'm not looking at it with too technical of an eye.

Can't be of help w/ the 7-14 vs the 12. I use the hell out of 7mm and absolutely love shooting at that focal length, so I'd only consider trading in the 7-14 for a rectilinear 7mm f/2.8 or better prime.

FWIW, I've opted to stick with my GF1 and get glass instead of going up to the GX1. After all was said and done, I still love the images the GF1 produces and the few stops of low-light performance seemed like a bad tradeoff vs. getting an entirely new point of view with a 45mm macro. Only reason I'm eyeballing a second body now is to get an articulating or tilt screen so I can see what I'm doing when I put the 7-14 on the ground and aim up.

9. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Can't argue with the benefit of IS at longer focal lengths. And I'm definitely looking at 45mm for the new point of view (both telephoto and macro). I've tended to look at this as an "all in" decision - either faster glass overall (Olympus), or trade that off for the super-wide (7mm) and macro capabilities (since I don't own a macro lens for my D300, this would be my first such lens). I was actually planning to get the GX1 along with the 45mm 2.8, as well as the LVF-2 (I use the LVF-1 on my GF1 a lot, even though the view through it leaves much to be desired... but it stays on the camera).

10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm using the Oly 45 on the GX1 and it's great. It's a very nice lens optically and even though it's lacking IS I can just shoot at f1.8 vs f2.8, unless I need a particular DOF. Price difference and very sharp photos at f1.8 convinced me to choose the Oly 45 over the PL45.

Since it's optically one of the better lenses there's not much to worry regarding compatibility on Panasonic bodies.

It focuses very fast (instantly) and it was quite snug the first couple of times I swapped lenses, but not so after a few times.

I just got the 7-14 and I absolutely love it!

11. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    for a while I also considered the Oly 12, but since I'm an UWA freak...

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Might consider the Panasonic 14/2.5 if 14mm is good enough for you. The 12/2 carries a pretty hefty price-tag ($500 more), so unless you really need the extra 2mm or 2/3 stop, the 14/2.5 is the better deal.

DH

• Like Like x 1