1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus lenses on a GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by M4/3, Apr 19, 2014.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Sorry if this is a lame question, but if I get a new GH4 body and fit an Oly lens on it (e.g. the Oly 12-50mm zoom) and shoot video, will there be some image stablization when shooting video or absolutely none at all? In other words, must I buy native Panasonic M4/3 lenses to get some degree of image stablization when shooting video with the GH4? Thanks

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No, on Panasonic hodies (other than the GX7) you will only get stabilization if the lens has it built in ( no olympus lenses have this)

3. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Yes, you will need Panasonic lenses with OIS built-in, which are the zooms, the Nocticron, and the macro. Other primes do not have OIS. Even on the GX7 which has basic IBIS, it's not active during video mode, so even with the GX7 you would need lenses with stabilization.

4. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah u need Panasonic lens for IS, or get a steadicam or monopod to get steadier shots

• Like Like x 1
  5. markdaunt

markdaunt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    No you won't get any image stabilisation with Oly lenses, so probable will want to use Panasonic lenses with the GH4.

The big problem with 4K and the really high bit rate video codecs is they produce large amours of heat in the image sensor, thats why the GH4 doesn't have IBS and why when pushed in post the Olympus bodies have such poor video quality.

Hopefully by the time of the GH5 they may have solved some of these heat problems allowing IBS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    If you've got existing Oly lenses that you want to make use of, tools like Adobe's Warp Stabiliser are very effective at ironing out shakes - providing you don't mind clipping by a few pixels and re-scaling (unlikely to be an issue with 4K).

7. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    Another question about using Oly lens on a GH4:
    1. How well does the AutoFocus work?

I have a running event coming up where the venue is very low light.
    The runners will be coming toward me thru a Redwood grove.
    Last year, I got great pictures with the D800 using a 80-200 f/2.8 lens wide open at 80mm,
    Shutter speed of 1/500s, and ISO 3600.

I sold the D800 to finance the GH4 because most of my use is for unattended Video of up to 90 minutes.
    But, now I need to make the Panasonic capable of covering this once per year Event.
    I have the Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 lens but will probably need something longer and maybe faster as well.
    So, I need to decide whether to get a 35-100 f/2.8 or the Oly 45mm f/1.8 lens.

I was very disappointed in the GH3 performance at a recent MotoCross Event
    I think the 14-140 and/or the Electronic shutter were not up to that task as the focus was too slow and inaccurate.

I expect the GH4 to be a lot better, but need help with setup and lens selection.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Not only will there be no stabilization (M4/3s question), but the DFD database contains only Panasonic lenses (I have read this in a few places, but have not seen confirmation from Panasonic). So RRRoger, it looks like the GH4 with Panasonic lenses will be dramatically better than the GH3, but not quite as good as a top of the line DSLR. For the best C-AF, don't use the O45, get any Panasonic lens (since it will be in the DFD database), even a consumer zoom and bump the ISO to compensate (if its not too dark). On the positive side... its a great excuse to buy a Nocticron! This link is to a guy testing the C-AF of the GH4. He is a wildlife photographer, so needs fast accurate focus on moving objects.

http://www.naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-gh4/

9. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    The Pany (Leica) 42.5 f/1.2 appears to be a really great lens,
    but I like zooms.
    I've had every 35, 50, and 85mm Nikkor lens and they were largly unused.
    So, I will probably test my Lumix 12-35 f/2.8 in the woods with the GH4 before deciding.
    Besides, at less than the same cost of the 42.5 f/1.2, I could get a 35-100 f/2.8.

I have a "Rocket Dog" Border Collie - Queensland Healer mix to test on, but will probably take my wife instead
    to see how the GH4 with Pany 12-35 f/2.8 performs at 3600 ISO in low light.