1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus Lens Profiles in LR3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ean10775, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm guessing I'm just missing a setting or something, but in LR3 when I edit ORF files uploaded from my E-PL1 under the Develop tab, there don't seem to be any lens correction profiles recognized/available for any of the lenses I have (Oly 17mm, Oly 45mm, Oly 14-42). In contrast, when I do this with my Canon 5DII and 24-105mm for example, LR3 recognizes that the photo was taken with this lens and I can simply tick the box to enable the lens correction. Would anyone be able to offer some guidance?

2. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    They are included in the image files, and automatically corrected 'behind the scenes'

• Like Like x 1
  3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I knew this is the case for the JPEGs but didn't realise it was for the RAW files as well. Is there a way to view the files without the correction?

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What Bizzarini said.

Part of the m43 standard is that lenses contain their own correction 'profiles' in the firmware. If you shoot jpegs, the camera automatically applies those profiles as part of the jpeg conversion.

If you shoot raw, what is done with that data depends on the raw converter you use. The profile data is written as part of the raw file, and the raw converters that Oly and Panasonic provide, along with LR and ACR, know what to do with that data, and apply it automatically. If you use a raw converter that doesn't understand this data, then you'll see the uncorrected image.

There are a couple of caveats: if you use fully manual lenses, the camera doesn't know anything about them, and no correction data is available. You'll have to create your own profiles, if needed, for those lenses. Apparently, the new m43 lenses from Sigma don't contain any correction data, either.

Also, the m43 standard includes correction data for distortion only. So any m43 lens, whether Oly or Panasonic, will apply this correction data on any m43 body. But Panasonic goes further, and includes correction data for Chromatic Aberration. Using a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body, this data also gets written to the raw file (and used in the in-camera jpeg conversion) and applied by supported raw processors. Any combination with Oly lens or Oly body, however, doesn't provide automatic CA correction.

Raw Therapee doesn't apply the correction data. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not sure which ones.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Is it possible to set up your own lens profiles in LR3? I too use LR and when i import raw file images taken with legacy glass, there is nothing in the lens correction profiles field. But when I click on it I see a ton of lens choices although for Nikon and Cannon lenses.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Thanks for this discussion. I recently switched from the dreaded, slow, and feature challenged Olympus Studio to Lightroom 4. Lovely! But I wondered why the shot I took with lots of straight lines with the Panasonic 20mm kept the same straight lines in the raw file that I'd seen in the jpeg. I also looked for a profile. It's fine by me that the distortion is auto corrected, though nice, if you want the barrel affect, to be able to put it back in manually.

Why I put up with Studio for so long is beyond me. Any raw developer that doesn't allow you to correct color noise separately is fairly useless to me. The Lightroom Tiffs developed from .orf files are sharper, with better noise correction, and fewer artifacts. I love Olympus cameras and lenses, and have since my first OM-1, well over 30 years ago, but I find their software truly awful across the board. For my needs in any event.

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Read here. I've never gone through the trouble, it looks like quite a job to make the setup with the targets.

8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Forgive me, as I'm relatively new to LR3, but what I'd really like to understand, is how to emulate the JPEG processing Olympus cameras do and apply it to the ORF files that come from my E-PL1, specifically with the Vivid setting. Right now I shoot RAW + JPEG, but I'd love to have the ORF file look identical to the JPEG as a starting point to then do further editing. Is there a way to create a profile like this and apply it upon import to all my ORF files so I don't have to shoot both RAW + JPEG all the time? If so, does anyone have an idea as to what the specific settings would be to emulate the Oly JPEG processing with the Vivid preset?