Olympus lens on Panasonic body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Brian10956, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Brian10956

Brian10956 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2017
    I'm leaning towards getting a Gh5 will I be loosing anything if I use an Olympus lens vs a Panasonic lens

2. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    You won't be able to use Dfd autofocus, which is enabled only between panasonic lenses and bodies

3. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I am very happy with my Olympus 60mm Macro, on my GX80.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    DFD comes in handy when you are planning on using C-AF and tracking a lot; you won't notice hardly any difference when shooting stills - because S-AF is lightning fast with all modern lenses (which means almost all availabe lenses - the only exception I'm aware of is Panasonic's own 20mm f/1.7 II; but that also profits from DFD). So for action shots and video, I'd go Panasonic (12-60mm PanaLeica or possibly the very decent 14-140mm II as general purpose zooms - or of course any prime that suits your shooting style and subjects), for everything else, you can choose whatever you like.

I mostly shoot Olympus and Sigma lenses on my Olympus and Panasonic bodies - simply because the only two Panasonic lenses I own are the 12-32mm (tiny, but sweet) and the 20mm f/1.7 v1 (again, tiny, and very, very sharp). Do I feel let down by other lenses on the GX80? Not a bit. The Olympus and Sigma primes perform fantastically on that body as well, and as indicated above, S-AF isn't any slower either way (I cross-checked with the 12-32mm). FWIW, the second most used lens on the GX80 is the Olympus 14-150mm II - it's my travel combo ... (the mainstay is the tiny, yet gorgeous Olympus 25mm f/1.8).

M.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There was a thread on here somewhere that was looking at the diameters of the lens mounts on the camera, and the diameters of rubber gasket on the rear of the lenses. If memory serves me right, the Olympus lens seal OD was larger than the Panasonic camera mount OD, which may jeopardize the weather sealing ability when using Olympus lenses on a Panasonic body. I also believe that the Panasonic lens seal OD was smaller than the Olympus camera mount OD, which shouldn't pose an issue when using Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body.

Not certain if this matters to you or not, but it may be worth investigating some more if weather sealing is a concern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I can never remember what we decided about that, probably because Panasonic doesn't have lenses I want over the Olympus equivalents so for me it's a non-issue. But it something someone who needs weather sealing and is looking at cross brand lens/camera use should be aware of.

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It likely wouldn't be an issue of Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body, but rather Olympus lenses on a Panasonic body. So, as long as you don't have a desire for a GH4, GH5, GX8, or G85, you should be in the clear.

8. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I experience a significant focus speed difference between the PL12-60 and P35-100/2.8 on one hand and the O75 on the other in s-af on the GH5. It's personal of course, but if you choose the GH5 for its speed, there is a difference.

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Not to challenge or doubt your findings in any way, but that could be the lens - such a sharp and fast 75mm (150mm-e) is harder to focus than any of the slower zooms. But it's also possible that the pro level workhorse zooms focus especially quickly on the GH5; it's what I'd try to aim for if I were Panasonic ...

M.

10. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Could be an issue either way. Olympus seal is too large to seal properly on a Panasonic mount, and the Panasonic seal diameter potential crosses the mounting screws on the Olympus mount.
    I'm not losing any sleep over using my 12-40 with the GX-8, but it doesn't rain a whole lot around here. I have thought about buying a used EM-1 and leaving it stuck to the 12-40 permanently, but haven't justified it to myself, and I'm quite fond of the controls on my Panasonic bodies.

11. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Very well possible. I'd love to try a Nocticron for testing thst hypothesis