Olympus lens hoods

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by kevwilfoto, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm amazed at how Olympus constantly fumbles the ball with lens hoods. They're never included, and sometimes there not even for sale! Supposedly the LH-49 hood for the 60mm macro is actually a thing but no one lists it for sale, not even Olympus' own store! I'd be annoyed to have to buy the hood separately, but if I can't even do that - ಠ_ಠ.

Old topic, I know, but the more time passes where Olympus doesn't include (or even sell) lens hoods, the bigger the issue becomes.

2. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
  3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    The Olympus policy on lens hoods for :43: is an absolute disgrace and it's only because I like their products so much that I begrudgingly tolerate it. I cannot understand it, hoods come as standard with Olympus Four Thirds lenses, even the budget ones, and alway did with the OM lenses, too. Why has it changed? :confused: :mad:

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I don't think Olympus not providing hoods is anything new Back in the days of the OM1/2 they never provided one with the lenses.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, it annoys the snot out of me too... I put up with it only because I really like some of the Olympus lenses like the 12mm, 75mm, and 60mm macro. It's frustrating when by comparison Panasonic included a lens hood (not to mention a drawstring storage bag) with every lens I've bought except the two pancakes.

I pretty much just plain refuse to spend the kind of money Olympus asks for a hood as an "accessory", especially a non-reversible one that is a pain to pack in a camera bag. As a consequence I shoot my Olympus lenses without a hood usually, or if anything I buy a cheap (< $10) aftermarket hood.

This is one area I really wish Olympus would listen to their customers' complaints, but it doesn't seem like they have any inclination to change thus far.

6. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I have Oly 60 and 45 and 75-300 but hood does not seem to be a must have in my shooting. So not quite at snot level but annoyed as well although its more for lens bag than hood in my case.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Oh, boy, hot topic/sore spot! :grin:

1. Why not design telescoping lens hoods? Are we stuck in the 1960s??? :confused:

2. If you can't design telescoping lens hoods, are you blind to the fact that many lenses, especially wide angles, have flare issues and a lens hood would MAKE YOUR LENS LOOK BETTER TO CONSUMERS because images would be better? :frown: I think of it as defensive marketing.

3. If you MUST sell separate lens hoods, must you also r@pe your customers by charging obscene prices? :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Some lenses had them, some didn't. I didn't get a hood with either my 50mm f1.8 or 35mm f2.8. However, I did get nice hoods as standard with the 24mm f2.8 and 100mm f2.8. My 135mm f3.5 and 200mm f4 both came with integral, sliding hoods. If I remember correctly, all lenses came with a soft, padded pouch or hard case.

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Not just hoods, my new m.ZD 75mm didn't even come with a bag...

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You've pretty much summarized it up here...

11. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Talking about lens hoods, three of my lenses [Pana 14 f2.5; 25 f1.4 and 45 f2.8 macro] share the same 46mm filter size, which means I can swap my 3rd party [Uwenka — lovely name] vented screw-in metal lens hood and 46mm cp filter between the three lenses — screw-in hood used to turn the cp filter. Oly should know better, given their decades of experience. Regarding the remark about telescoping lens hoods — my old Leica 90mm f2 Summicron had a brilliant two-piece built-in telescoping metal lens hood [with front cap] — always there, never lost.

12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Ended up buying a cheap screw on hood for my new oly 75
    Worked out OK since I use a circ pol a lot and can just rotate the hood :)

For sure not cool to charge about %10 of cost for hood or more !

Only have the 75 and going to get the 60 macro

For me panasonic has more offerings I want at this point if the 42.5 1.2 becomes reality and the 150 2.8
    Those will also join me :)

13. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I'm wondering if the LH-49 hood for 60mm comes with a "pinch-style" cap too like the LH-61F hood for 75mm? Can't find any info that substantiates this.

14. irishrover61

irishrover61 New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Just purchased a Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN lens. Not only did it come with a lens hood, but a nice semi-ridged bag as well, all for under $200.00.

In my opinion if Sigma can do it for less than $200.00, then the premium Olympus can surely do it as well.

15. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I agree with everything that was stated in this thread. The problem is that Olympus is not likely to hear our complaints on this forum. If you want your complaints to be heard, then you need to send emails directly to Olympus.

16. mikep

mikep Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    Northern California
    The lens hood of the Panasonic 45-175mm Zoom fits the Oly 60mm macro and appears to to be fine.

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    ...but the Sigma 30mm, also currently under $200, doesn't come with an OEM hood. It has a very nice case which would appear to cost more than a plastic hood...

Beats me. :confused:

Jim

18. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I don't remember any of my canon lenses with the exception of L lenses that came with hoods, personally it's never really bothered me much at all.

This being said I believe if the lens hits a certain price point it should come with a hood and a pouch, since they touting it as a "premium" lens.

Just my two cents, :)

19. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    From Olympus-Global web page:

"The LH-49 is a sliding lens hood designed exclusively for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro. In addition to effective blocking of harmful light rays, this hood can be safely stored without detaching it from the lens, not only eliminating the hassle of attaching and detaching the hood before/after every shooting session, but also providing effective protection for the lens body. The hood also makes rotation of the polarization filter easier.

The hood position can be adjusted during macro shooting by sliding it, making it possible to avoid capturing the shade of the hood in the image, as well as to adjust the amount of light on the subject
    ."

nr120917macroe_04.

OLYMPUS | News Release: "Nature Macro Lens" with Dust-/Splash-proofing "M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Macro"

• Like Like x 1
  20. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark