Olympus Lens Hoods Self-destruct

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Drdave944, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I was removing the lens hood of my year old Oly 12-40mm F2.8 so as to take a flash picture when it fell off in my hand into three pieces,with another small piece lost under a table. This is not the first time I have had trouble with Oly lens hoods.
    I no longer use my factory approved hood on my Oly 17mm F1.8 because the screw that supposedly tightens it on does no such thing. A similarly designed metal hood for my 75mm Oly 1.8 had a similar problem,though it was an off brand cheap version.
    P9160542.jpg The quite expensive factory version works well. The 12-40 zoom is plastic with metal springs while the other two are all metal with a band that tightens with a screw. Neither appears to be well designed. Has anyone else had these problems?
  2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, mine did when on a trip.. For no reason. I ended up getting a 3rd party replacement for $18 and had the bonus of a slot you can adjust your CPL.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I didn't know Oly had gone to high-tech lens hoods (with parts and spring and such). I know with the old 12-60mm 4/3rds lens, a lot of people had issues with the hood not sliding very well anymore on the lens end and it would actually act as a wrench ripping the end of the lens off. I would treat mine with a tiny bit of silicone spray on a paper towel then use it to wipe the inside of the hood where it mounted to the lens. Made it slippery enough that it went on and off without troubles. But when they get "tight" (a lot of friction) it isn't hard to start busting stuff.

As to the Oly 17mm/1.8, I just received this hood today... http://amzn.com/B0057LX9H8 ("Fotasy Metal Screw-In Lens Hood for Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5/20mm f/1.7 Lens and Leica DG SUMMILUX 25mm F1.4 ASPH Lens"). It is a screw on type hood, it's metal and the included lens cap (55mm) snaps onto the end of the hood rather than the lens itself. I only tried it out for a second but on my 17mm/1.8 and E-M1 camera there is no vignetting and for all of $7.50 I would highly recommend it as an alternative. Of course the downside of this type of hood is that you can not reverse it on the lens for storage. The end of the hood has 55mm threads, so you can still screw on a 55mm filter. You might even consider it a really deep 46mm to 55mm step up ring that also acts as a lens hood.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just say no to hoods. Free yourself!
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I quit using the 12-40 lens hood after a week with no adverse effects. It only provides coverage at the widest angle (for 12mm focal length) and is a waste of space and effort for the most part. I don't have flare problems with the lens and am happy to not mess with a hood.
    I do use the hood on the 40-150 Pro, but it's really sturdy and never has to come off. I'll try shooting without it for a few weeks to judge the impact of not using a hood with it as well. Modern lens coatings are so good compared to what was available during the film camera days that flare is much less of a problem.
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My opinion is that hoods these days are mostly shielding the front element from bumps, standing lenses off the ground or bag if you need to put it down quickly, or shielding the front element from rain.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    While this maybe true. That not addressing the issue the op has with the hood on his "pro" lens blowing up. I agree with him that this is pretty weak. I had this happen on my cheap nikon lenses which I let pass because they were .. cheap. This is not the case with the 12-40
  8. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Mine didn't break, I just came to hate the clumsy way it worked. I replaced it with an inexpensive replacement that works far better and all is right again.
  9. AL904

AL904 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    Jacksonville Beach, Florida
    Allen Forrest
    My experience, exactly!

I actually prefer the less expensive replacement hood. From now on I will look for lens hoods from JJH for my Oly lenses.
  10. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I did that in a train in Myanmar. One of the little springs went flying somewhere. Didn't even bother to look, they have no windows on the trains there...

Regardless, superglue is your friend. Just be more careful than me - I got a bit on the outer part, and it kind looks crap. Luckily, it's only a small spot.

11. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is the purpose of my lens hoods.

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    I've got 5 Olympus lenses and none of them have a genuine Olympus hood.
    All my hoods are from the chinese brand JJC.
    They are by far very cheap, look like the genuine ones and I've never had any problem with them.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Bob Rockefeller
    I'll add my +1 for JJH hoods.
  14. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Hmmmm - I wonder if Olympus used time release glue on these things? Mine fell apart on August 26th, I ordered and now use one of these - I still need to find one very small pin to get the old hood functioning before I glue it back together.
  15. gengh

gengh Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2010
    I had the exact same thing happen to my lens hood. Replaced with JJC lens hood. A really poor lens hood design by Olympus.
  16. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I wonder how much they make selling aftermarket replacements at 45 bucks a pop?
  17. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

The 12-40 Pro comes with a hood.

I also add my vote for the JJC hoods. I have one on my 75 F1.8, and it cost a small fraction of the cost of the Oly, and looks just as nice, and, actually, looks and feels identical, apart from saying "JJC" on it instead of "Olympus".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not saying this to troll... I have plenty of gear from both Oly and Panasonic, and don't have issues with either, but threads like this really make me hesitant to buy Olympus. This isn't the first thread where someone complains about poor durability and a half dozen or more people chime in with the same issue right away.
  19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I bought a similar hood for my 17mm and it stays on permanently. :)
  20. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Well, I bought a JJC hood for my 14-42 II lens and it got so loose that it would fall off if the wind blew. Less than useless to me.