Olympus legacy 4/3 lens to GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JoJo Gunn, Jun 25, 2016.

1. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    I want to mount an Olympus 50 macro (not m/43) on a GH4. Does it require a special adapter? I have an Olympus 4/3 to m/43 adapter but I was advised that it would not work with the GH4!

Is that correct? I know it works with the GH3. Did Panasonic change the GH4 mount?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Should work fine... all micro 4/3 cameras have the same mount... can't think of anything in the GH4 that would stop it working...its a noisy and slow lens when using autofocus, which might cause problems if shooting video using auto focus

the 50 macro is optically a very fine lens

K

3. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    K,
    Thanks

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, Kevin is right. Any 4/3 to M4/3 electronic adapter will work. To an extent, you get what you pay for there - the Olympus and Panasonic adapters are clearly better, but clearly more expensive than 3rd party adapters that are occasionally unreliable or have worse build quality.

If you are using the 50mm for video, you will certainly have to use manual focus, again reiterate ing on Kevin's comment. Autofocus on 4/3 lenses is vaguely usable for single-AF on Panasonic bodies, but completely unusable for video. It will hunt back and forth for 1-2 seconds, typically quite noisily and erratically.

5. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    I want to use it for stills. A friend wants to use it for macro only. I never try auto focus on macro....old school!

Thanks

6. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    Update! I talked with my friend and found the problem. She was trying to mount the lens to the adapter and then mount the adapter to the GH4. My bad! I should have given her better instructions.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't understand, that method should work perfectly fine. In fact, that's how I always do it. In general, I store my legacy lenses with their adapters attached to them and cheap M4/3 lens rear caps...

• Agree Agree x 3