Olympus launches the Micro Four Thirds “Open Platform”

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
That's pretty much what Sony has done with their latest camera without a screen. The examples shown are a bit crappy, but it can provide some usefulness for those doing astrophotography, macro and other things, such as an alternative to a GoPro in vehicles etc.

Johbremat

Mu-43 Regular
Fantastic idea, depending on cost of entry.

• Could build something similar to the QX1 or GXR
  • Build an astro module with liquid cooling
  • Create an array or matrix that can capture stills or video simultaneously or at varying speeds
  • Produce a scalable panorama kit:
    • Simultaneous capture of image means even lighting
    • Simultaneous capture means not 'ghosts'
    • Extend or reduce like Lego
Dammit. I wanna play now...

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Well, as a software engineer by day, and a Micro Four Thirdian at other times, I've expressed my interest... who knows if they'll reply.

I think the point is not to use it as an off-the-shelf camera like the QX, but to use it as a generic imaging interface unit that applications can be built around, hence the collaboration with MIT. Loads of engineering students could get exposure to m4/3 this way, and it is basically free software development for Olympus - they don't need to put so much effort into their OI.Share thing. It also makes a lot of sense for them to open up the Wi-Fi API as a student in Germany was already close to fully implementing the Olympus Wi-Fi control protocol anyway!

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The more Olympus opens up m4/3 to development, the greater will be its penetration into other markets etc and the greater its exposure. Olympus has been involved in industrial, education, science etc areas for a very long time, expanding m4/3 into same would provide some potentially interesting outcomes.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I hope it takes off like the Arduino or Raspberry Pi with the Maker crowd.

I'm surprised they didn't come out with a mount of some kind for the box - maybe re-inforced screw mounts on all sides for easy mounting on any side.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I think what Olympus is likely to do is provide the camera 'box' and whatever software is required, and let development begin from there. It seems a bit like mobile phones, where developers get the required software to create apps that allow you to do different things. And I'd say that if serious development occurs, then Olympus can build on the needs by incorporating changes in the 'box'. That may also lead to changes to their regular camera designs as well.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think the point is not to use it as an off-the-shelf camera like the QX, but to use it as a generic imaging interface unit that applications can be built around, hence the collaboration with MIT. Loads of engineering students could get exposure to m4/3 this way, and it is basically free software development for Olympus - they don't need to put so much effort into their OI.Share thing. It also makes a lot of sense for them to open up the Wi-Fi API as a student in Germany was already close to fully implementing the Olympus Wi-Fi control protocol anyway!

This ^^^

Unless you are an engineer, its hard to appreciate the importance of a generic interface. I mentioned this in another thread comparing the Sony to this Olympus unit prototype. The "Open platform" is what will set it apart from a technical standpoint (not necessarily from a photographic standpoint).

pompori

Mu-43 Rookie
/*On this post I'll write as an electronic engineer, which you can infer by the use of C-style commenting (needless to say)*/

The uses and advantages of an open platform of hardware depend on the side you see it. From the manufacturer's side, it is a way of getting developers to know their products and find them applications that the manufacturer never thought of. Open platforms are also the way to go in education and research, so when a powerful imaging system is required in these fields, Olympus could be the first option, creating a second market for the same core product (which is very clever from them). The users of this platform could be the current users of the Arduino, RaspberryPi, Beagle Bone, Intel Galileo and Edison... the list is quite large.

As a developer, this sounds really exciting depending on the interface(s) that they decide to use. I'm thinking on security, automated assembly, IoT, drones...
If Olympus does this the right way, this could be fantastic news for makers and engineers into industrial imaging.

Latest threads

Top Bottom