1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus kiron 105/2.8 macro mc 1:1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Nov 22, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi,

I could not resist. I don't know why but when I sae it I told myself: "It must be mine!"

So I bought it for 120 euro. I'll have it Friday. Now I have few questions.

It's OM mount isn't it?

I read that this one is one of the best macro ever made that keeps on with lenses like: the 100mm f2.8 Makro Planar T* , 100mm f2.8 Apo Elmarit-R , 90/2.8 SP Macro , 105mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor ecc.....

Has anyone tried it and can tell me something about it and also give me tips on how to take out the best of it.

I'll use it on an E-p2 or E-pl2.

Thanks

2. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    Congrats, that's a damn good lens

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks

4. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Welcome to the Kiron club :). This is one amazing lens. I acquired one a few months ago and it didn't take much time for it to become one of my favorite lenses, ever. This lens performs really really well and is sharp wide open or stopped down.

Here are a few samples from my side:
    Flickr: Search Veeresh_ai's photostream

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this is a fantastic lens! Everybody loves the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 Macro. :) It goes by a couple other names as well... the Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro (only if the serial number starts with 22), and the Lester A. Dine Dental Macro, which are all the same lens by the same manufacturer (Kiron/Kino).

Mine is the Vivitar branded version, and I use it on my E-PL2. If yours was listed as an "Olympus" lens, then yes it is probably OM mount. Kiron doesn't make cameras, they make lenses... and likewise, Olympus doesn't make Kiron lenses. So the lens could virtually be in any mount. My Vivitar lens is in Minolta mount.

Note: the MC in the lens name (macro mc 1:1 ) should refer to the lens being multi-coated, not in Minolta MC mount (the MC will be written on the front of the lens, which is what it looks like the seller read off of for the lens name he gave). ;) This sometimes confuses people who don't see a lot of older lenses.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's a great lens that gives awesome rendition, but it doesn't have the optical performance of newer lenses. I believe that its reputation precedes it.

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Can you explain better what you mean about optical performance?

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Digital-spec lenses are sharper wide open, with better contrast and CA reduction overall. I will not deny that either. ;)

But at the same time, you couldn't pay 150 euros for a modern digital lens that could match the performance of the Kiron, lol. So it's all relative... Post processing can often make your legacy lens achieve similar results, but not out of the camera.

If I take the same photo with my Kiron/Vivitar 100mm/2.8 and my Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, you'll see the Zuiko lens will produce noticeably richer colors and sharper contrast. The Vivitar image will look slightly "washed out" in comparison. However, there is still plenty of detail in there if you touch it up a bit in post, and the final result can be made to look almost identical.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    The greatest contrast is a common feature of modern lenses, but this is not an indicator of better or worse. Regarding the performance wide open, I doubt very much that can be of any use to take Macro @f/2.8....