1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus just solved Shutter Shock on E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Mar 31, 2014.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Reesebass

Reesebass Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    I really hope they do the same for the E-P5 asap.

• Like Like x 3
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Nice! Same here, I hope the fix that for the E-P5 as well!

So for all the folks that were saying Shutter Shock didn't exsist and it was user error, I guess those folks were all wrong?

• Like Like x 2
  4. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Mirror slap doesn't exist, but I'm told that at the fastest shutter speed, that shutter is moving with a force of 40Gs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Hallelujah!!!!

Now if they can add an auto-IBIS to where it only activates below 1/focal length...

6. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I doubt EFC will show up on other bodies unfortunately. I think this is a benefit of the Panasonic sensor.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Has anyone done the update, and tested it?

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Excellent. If they could add this to the E-PM2, that'd be perfect!

Why do you say that? Most Sony cameras have it as well.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    How awesome is that! Hope it works well for you E-M1 owners.

10. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Need this across the lineup Olympus, kthx.

11. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Well depends, the a7r doesn't have it. I imagine the feature is part image controller, part ADC, and part specific sensor design.

So far there hasn't been any EFC for any Sony sourced MFT sensors. This is all conjecture though. As an ep5 owner, I do hope they bring it but I don't have my hopes up.

12. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Downloaded, installed and tested. The images at low shutter speeds are sharper to my eyes. I had been slightly disappointed with the EM-1 over the EM-5 at low shutter speeds but I'm a happy camper now.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Given that the presence and effects of shutter shock can vary from model to model, from body to body, from lens to lens, and like any form of vibration be influenced by how you hold the camera, then they aren't wrong by saying shutter shock isn't an issue for them.

14. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I notice less shutter shock on the ep5 with the vf4 attached so it can absolutely vary.

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This might be the thing that pushes me over to an e-m1. Does anyone know whether there is a DR hit using electronic 1st curtain? I seem to recall some people complaining of this on the GM1.

16. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think there's a hit on the E-m1 because it's only first curtain, not a full electronic shutter.

17. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Downloaded. Works great. Im impressed with Olympus addressing this.

18. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Oh. My.

Was just on the way here to post about the "0 second antishock" news item I saw on 43rumors and ask The Oracle of m4/3 Wisdom how that would possibly work. Lo and behold you linked to an explanation.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I want to see test results from somebody who has experienced E-M1 shutter shock and is bothered by it (most people seem to fit neither description) before getting too carried away, but it's certainly exciting that they've basically acknowledged the problem without coming out and saying it.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I know that fully electronic shutters can be prone to "rolling" shutter effects under the right conditions. Are EFC shutters immune from this problem?

--Ken

20. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

About time. This is kind of the whole point of CMOS ... why no one seems to run the damn things to their strengths is beyond me.