Olympus JPGs and ORFs Thumbnail on Mac

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monowav, May 12, 2014.

1. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    When I import images from my EM5 to my mac, the thumbnails appear to be different than if I open them up with Preview or Lightroom. Upon opening the files, the images have less contrast and are flatter than the nicely rendered thumbnails.
    Also, I'm using Mac OS X 10.9, Lightroom 5.3 and my EM5 is updated to the most recent software.
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 3.55.07 PM. Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 3.55.07 PM.

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    LR opens raws by default with Adobe Standard profile which are very neutral. Not sure how OSX does it but it probably uses a punchier conversion for preview

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    And the problem is? In you want sharpening, noise reduction, more contrast.....put those in an import preset.

4. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    I really like the contrast and colors of the olympus engine jpegs, but when I open in preview or lightroom, the photo flattens out.

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    So create an import preset that replicates the effect.

6. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Preview may be using the embedded jpg preview in the RAW file, but I'm not sure.

Try setting the Camera Calibration profile in Lightroom to Camera Vivid (or whatever color mode you shoot with in camera). Those settings are Adobe's attempt to match the Olympus EM5 output. It gets fairly close and then you can tweak other settings from there. If it really bugs you, some people swear by the Huelight profiles for "true" Olympus colors, but there wasn't enough of a difference to be worth it to me.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Preview, like the Finder, Pages Aperture and indeed any other app that is written to use the OS level raw conversion that is part of OSX will render from the RAW on the fly. Adobe, because they develop cross platform have their own RAW rendering engine

K