Olympus Issues Service Advisory Regarding OM-D E-M5 Screen Bezel Cracks

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    An issue which was first identified and discussed in our forums back in November, many Olympus OM-D E-M5 cameras have developeed tiny cracks at the bottom bezel of the rear LCD.

Olympus has issued a service advisory related to this issue, and you can find the full details in the attached PDF file.

Here are the salient points:
    • Olympus has determined that some E-M5 cameras have developed a small crack on the LCD monitor cover.
    • The cause of the defect is inconsistent tightening of screws during the assembly process and inadequate strength of the monitor cover material.
    • This defect does not affect the operation of the camera, or the dust-proof or splash-proof performance of the product, nor does the defect cause or increase the chances of causing any personal injury or property damage.
    • The defect is of a purely aesthetic nature. However, early evaluation is recommended since very tiny cracks may develop into larger cracks of greater aesthetic significance.
    • Affected Serial Number Range*: Black BEJ501001~BEJ504916; Silver BF3501001~BF3503164
    • Beginning February 26, 2013 and ending February 25, 2014, free repair is being offered to customers in Europe and the United States as well as Japan.
    • The repair includes the addition of a washer to more evenly distribute the pressure applied by the monitor cover screws.

*There are already reports of affected bodies outside of the range said to be affected.

Attached Files:

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    My camera is agonizingly close to being outside the affected range--it's just barely in there. In any case it has the crack so it needs to be repaired. Problem is I can't do without it :) I've also read a recent horror story about Olympus support in terms of getting a camera into the system as well as a shortage of parts for the bezel repair. I think I'll wait.
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    It's a dilemma. Olympus will take in and check cameras with the relevant serial numbers, so I suppose I could send mine in. But I don't have any cracks, may never have any cracks, and I'd really miss my E-M5 while it got what is apparently not a significant adjustment. I think I'll wait until closer to the end of the time frame indicated. It's good to have this information, though. Thanks.

What do others think??
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't see Australia mentioned here, but even if it was I don't think that I could really be bothered about sending it in to be repaired (and my E-M5 does have a small crack). The whole thing still strikes me as making a mountain out of a molehill.
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    My E-M5 has such a faint crack but may as well send it in for free.

I'll miss it, though.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I too wouldn't bother to send mine in for the repair, and I agree that it's pretty much a non-issue to me.

I wasn't sure if this was even worth posting but since Olympus decided to make a big deal out of it with a service announcement, I went ahead and posted it.
  7. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Good to hear my BEK is out of the range of models affected. I can stop worrying about it now :D
  8. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Blast... I'm in this boat (serial# and cracked) , but can't part with my beast for, well, who knows for how long.

I am sure whether its a week or a month or more, it'll be too long for me to justify such a delay. I think I can live with a subtle hairline fracture in the LCD bezel, since the old girl has already taken some tumbles to the pavement with barely a scratch elsewhere.

Asthetics are insignificant to me. I bought it to shoot hard, not for display.
  9. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    My E-M5 is enjoying its 4th week on vacation in the sunny climes of El Paso at the Oly Service Facility. Make sure that you get tracking info so that you can prove they received it after they claim not to have received it. BTW mine is waiting for parts so they haven't quite set up shop to do a lot of these;(
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    It was somewhat alarming when the issue first become apparent, but since then it has been confirmed to be a purely cosmetic problem which does not affect functionality or sealing. Mine's cracked but I almost need a magnifying glass to see it and I have no plans to send mine for repair. I suppose it could affect future resale value, but I have a habit of running cameras until the used value is negligable. My DSLR is still an E-3 and I'm still more than happy with the IQ. Barring mishaps I envisage keeping the E-M5 at least as long. :smile:
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I should have added that regardless of how serious or not the issue really is, it's good that Olympus has offered to rectify it.
  12. albert_ang

albert_ang Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's covered by Olympus Australia. I sent mine few weeks ago because the main dial loosed. Along with that, I mentioned to them about the crack and they replaced the LCD. They also cleaned the sensor as a courtesy
    Great service from Olympus Australia. :2thumbs:
  13. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm outside of the range with mine, but it's just starting to develop a center crack.
    Definitely just gonna live with it - I don't have a ton faith in 1) Olympus's service sense of urgency and being without my camera for an indeterminate period of time 2) loss or additional damage won't be done via poor shipping/packing/handling etc.

If down the road it starts looking really bad and is out of Warranty, I could see 'filling it' with a dab of JB weld, or propoxy or something - I have no plans of selling this camera anytime before it becomes obsolete.
  14. macboy001

macboy001 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2010
    Wairarapa, New Zealand
    my local store is happy to look at the problem in New Zealand, my screen has the crack as described and my serial number begins BF650... so the problem isn't confined to just the first few.
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So hypothetically, if the face of your OLED screen was a bit scratched up, would the repair involve replacing the whole screen with a brand new one? Something to consider, maybe...
  16. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I don't think the screen would be replaced the cracked piece is separate from the screen itself. It's little more than a plastic rectangle that holds the OLED in place. They're not together.
  17. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    outside the range but with the crack

Mine is BEJ51XXXX still under warranty (outside the range) and has the crack, but I don't get this: "Olympus will provide free check and repair services starting on Tuesday February 26, 2013 to all E-M5 camera owners with cameras that have a serial number within the range of cameras affected". Ok, they also state we should contact them in that particular case but IMO this first phrase is at least inappropiate.

My problem is that I decided to sell it cause the PL5 is fitting my needs as I was looking for a smaller camera and want to make room for future acquisitions. BUt... I live in Brazil and if I take mine to the local service (I contacted them already) it can take up to 90 days for them to import the part and replace it, hoping they have the ability to do so. OTOH if try to sell it as it is maybe the buyer will complain about, also kinda unfair to sell and not tell, so I'm really caught.. :eek::frown::mad::confused:
  18. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Yep, that facility 'went online' about a month ago too, lots of little shake-ups and changes recently. The only tracking info you can trust is from UPS, anything else you are told is not always accurate, nor does everyone you speak to or communicate with have the same access to tell you the most accurate 'internal' info.

Warranty repair (or paid repair for that matter) with ANY company coms down to, is the cure worse than the disease. As long as it does not impede the function of the camera, I'd be favoring not to send it in if I actually used it regularly. On the other hand an extended warranty might be a worthwhile investment...
  19. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Mine is in the affected range, and has a crack (just checked it today). It is a non-issue, and is purely cosmetic, but the perfectionist in me is a a small desire to have it fixed. It won't be going in unless I get a PL5, or the upcoming P5. Otherwise, I'll deal with it.
  20. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Good info on the U.S. repair facility, guys. I'll definitely wait to get this done if I bother at all. As has been said it's mainly cosmetic for me since I don't shoot in the rain anyway.