Olympus is back at The Camera Store

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by dav1dz, Apr 1, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I like their youtube videos
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So glad to hear! I was always disappointed since The Camera Store dropped Olympus. It doesn't affect me too much since I live in Edmonton and not Calgary, but The Camera Store was one great resource and I felt bad that I could not enjoy them or encourage them.
  4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, this is good. I remember when I bought my E-620 they just started dropping Olympus, citing something about poor distributor support, or some unfairness from Olympus distribution.

Glad its back. As a 30 yr Olympus user, I remember the days when you'd go to the store and see a lone OM-4 or OM-3Ti on the shelf with some $2200 price tag on it and no accessories to speak of. And then, 10 years of no Olympus product whatsoever.
  5. JordanDrake

JordanDrake New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2013
  6. JordanDrake

JordanDrake New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2013
    I shoot them. Any questions, let me know.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Could use a retrospective review of the E-M5.
  8. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Lol exact same scenario for me! I was going to buy my E-620 from them but then they got dropped as a distributor.
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Agreed! They have wonderful videos. More informative than Digital Rev but not quite as humorous. Still they are not at all dry and there is some humor, just not over the top like DR.
  10. speedandstyle

For real?

If so what cam do you use for shooting the video?
  11. JordanDrake

JordanDrake New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2013
    I filmed this video on the Sony FS700, my current favourite camera. I used Zeiss Alpha Mount 24mm F2 and 85mm F1.4 lenses. It was lit with Lumahawk LEDs.

Thanks for watching, and pass it around. This is one of my favourite things I've shot.
  12. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    This is great news. I bought a ton of 4/3rd gear. A lot of it when they sold Olympus and a lot since. I have been on there Email list ever since waiting for their return. When I asked them why they stopped selling Olympus the answer was THEY TOOK LIBERTY TO SELL AT LOWER THAN RETAIL. Olympus apparently doesn`t like their retailers to set there owm price. If a retailer does sell for less than MSRP they are warned and if they don`t tow the line they loose the product.
    I have since sold most of my 4/3rd gear and now have a small lineup of m4/3 (GF1, E-PL1 and OM-D E-M5)

The thing I like best with The Camera Store coming back on line is this gives us Canucks a really really great retailer right here. They do online and ship across Canada for low prices.

This is a great day!!!
  13. speedandstyle

Cool, thanks.
    I do video for a church and we just bought an AF100. So far I love it. Much better than the old Canon XL-1s{not that it was a bad camera}. Wish we could afford Zeiss glass! Lumahawk? Is that a Canadian brand? The only places I found it listed we in Canada. I am looking to get an LED light or two to replace our very hot Arii lights.
  14. JordanDrake

JordanDrake New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2013
    I love the Af100, we shot our second season on it! The M4/3 glass is awesome, I shot almost exclusively with the Olympus 12mm F2 and Pana/Leica 25mm F1.4. Lumahawk seems to only be available in Canada, but I would recommend checking them out, they make brilliant lights. My core kit consists of a 312AS, 876A, and 1800KA.

If you're looking now though, I'd recommend waiting see what is announced at NAB next week. I'll be there looking for cool stuff.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great videos! You guys should do a cameo swap with DigitalRev and send Chris to Hong Kong and have Kai come to Calgary. That would be epic! :biggrin:
  16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Have Chris go to Hong Kong and do a protog, cheap camera challenge with DigitalRev!
  17. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    That's awesome, I live about 4 blocks away and love to stop in on the way home. I gave them a bit of a hard time when I had to resort to buying my EM-5 at vistek.
  18. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
  19. JordanDrake

JordanDrake New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2013
    It's for real deal, we just chose a lousy day to announce it.
  20. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I see that most of the micro 4/3 lenses are out of stock. I would be interested in picking up a 75-300 with the 5% tax using my brother that lives there.

They have a $100 rebate on some of the olympus lenses, but not the 75/1.8 or 75-300 that I'm looking for unfortunately.