1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus investigating lock-up issue on E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichA, Jul 6, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I had this happen the other day a couple times. You have to remove the battery to get the camera to re-start. Olympus is monitoring online reports and investigating. The camera basically goes dark, nothing shows as being on. It's an unrequested shut-down.

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No problems with mine yet after 2 months of daily use. I do wonder how long that tiny plastic camera on-off lever is going to last though. On other other hand, nothing ever wore out on my previous Oly cameras.

3. Touch wood, it's only happened once so far with the Panny 20/1.7 mounted. So far my only solution is to not use the 20/1.7 on the E-M5.

4. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    It happened to me once, when I had switched from the 20 to the 45. But I have used both of these lenses a lot on the E-M5, without any more problems than this single occasion.

5. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Proof?

6. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

This may have happened to me as well. I blamed the lens (Panasonic 100-300), but maybe I was wrong. Taking the battery out and putting it back cleared whatever the fault was.

7. yeos

yeos Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Brussels, Belgium
    Yves
    Some temporary solution

It seems happening with Pany lenses, especially the 20mm f:1.7. I got this issue many times in 2 month. Apparently there are 2 different version of this lens, the most recent one is the fastest too (perhaps more silent too). Unfortunately mine is from the oldest batch (but happy with it, as I shoot a lot of nice pics with my GF1 )

Some user's found a "tricky" way to avoid it .. working for some people :
    changing the sleeping time to 5 minutes, confirm, back to the menu, changing back to 1 minutes .. confirm. Seems working for mine ;)

Probably fixed in the next Oly firmware

8. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I'm using all Olympus lenses. Absolutely no problems of any kind from mine so far. I've had it since late April. I use it frequently.

9. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Never knew Panasonic silently updated the 20mm f/1.7 with faster AF and silent motor, you got proof of that?

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I haven't run into a lockup yet with my E-M5 and I use Panasonic lenses about half the time. I do not think, though, that my camera goes to sleep much - got in the habit of powering it down most of the time.

11. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    I have had it happen twice to me. Once with the Oly 14-150 where it just wouldn't wake up and was non-responsive to the on/off switch. The second time was with the Panny 100-300 where it lost focus and then black. In both cases removing and reinstalling the battery cleared the problem.

12. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a lockup on Wed, except it wasn't a blank screen. It was showing the shooting mode menu on the LCD (probably my thumb had hit the arrow key), but wouldn't accept a button press to make a selection. I knew I had a problem when the screen stayed on after I pushed the power switch to OFF. Was using the kit Oly 12-50 lens.

A caveat: I was riding my scooter in the 4th of July parade, so I'd been sitting in the sun with little airflow for at least an hour, with temps climbing into the lower 90s. The camera was in a case for much of that time, so it wasn't directly in the sun, but was probably still warm. But I popped the battery out for a second and the camera functioned fine after that, despite the heat.

13. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

+1 I am concerned about that little lever as well. Even though I have a second battery I regularly shut my camera on and off all the time. I often sit in a hidden location shooting little birds and much of the time I'm just watching with the camera propped up near my ear or face. I hear that little whir and it makes me want to hit the switch. :rolleyes:

14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Same here. :thumbup:

15. gummyrabbit

Sep 15, 2010
    For those of you who have never had a problem...I suspect that maybe your sleep timer is set to 5 mins? I had mine set to 1 minute and lockups were frequent with the Panny 20mm.

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    are you implying that the camera going to sleep at 1min is different than 5min? Or that since it's set to 5 min, the camera doesn't actually get to sleep to fail?

17. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    One more note about my situation (no problems). I never let it get to the point where it goes to 'sleep'. I tend to turn it off long before it gets to that point...or I press the shutter halfway to keep it ready.

18. Nepherim

Nepherim Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Happened to me with the 12-60. Camera simply stopped responding. Removed battery, all was well again.

19. gummyrabbit

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm saying that a 5 min timer means that camera might never get into sleep mode. The other thing is that a one min timer means the camera is in and out of sleep mode more often...thus increasing the chances of a lockup.

20. Alex Foong

Alex Foong New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2012
    Malaysia
    Alex Foong
    * Micro Four Thirds User Forum > Micro 4/3 Cameras > Olympus Cameras Olympus inves

I thought that the lock up only happen to the 20mm Panasonic lens. I reported it when I got the Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera 3 weeks upon it launch. I still encounter the lock up with the 20mm Panasonic lens once a while. To over come the lock up, I Off the camera once I took a shot. It is quite irritating if it lock up as it involved taking out the battery to reset it and I normally have the extra battery grip attached to the camera.

Come on Olympus, have this problem solved ASAP!!!