1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Introduces M ZD ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens and Limited Edition Black 12mm f/2

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Press release:

OLYMPUS INTRODUCES THE NEW M.ZUIKO® DIGITAL ED 60MM F2.8 MACRO LENS FOR SHOOTING IN A WIDE RANGE OF CONDITIONS

60mm f2.8 Dust-and-Splash-Proof “Nature Macro Lens” Joined by a Limited Edition Black 12mm and the Future Release of a High-Quality 17mm Expand the Micro Four Thirds® Family​

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., September 17, 2012 – Today, Olympus adds to the Micro Four Thirds family of lenses with the release of the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm* f2.8 Macro lens, a single focal-length macro lens with a dust-splash-proof body that’s ideal for harsh weather conditions. Also joining the expansive list of Olympus® lenses is a limited edition black version of the popular M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 high-grade snapshot lens and an M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f1.8 high-grade lens currently under development.

The M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 lens features excellent close-up capability with 1X** magnification and a focusing distance of 19cm. Its dust-and-splash-proof construction enables the user to shoot macro images in a wide range of conditions, including in the rain or near the water, in addition to traditional landscape and portrait photography.

To ensure the best possible imaging quality, 13 lens elements are incorporated in 10 groups of lenses within the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 with extensive use of special glass materials such as ED (Extra-low Dispersion), HR (High Refractive index) and E-HR (Extra-High Refractive index) elements to completely eliminate the chromatic aberrations often noticeable with telephoto macro lenses. This optical design ensures consistently clear, sharp, high-contrast imaging performance.

Ideal for capturing brilliant still images and high-definition (HD) videos, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 employs an Olympus developed MSC (Movie & Still Compatible) autofocusing mechanism that features an inner focus system to drive quick and quiet focusing. A shooting distance and magnification indicator window enhance macro shooting control and precision.

A focus limit switch sets the focusing range to enable faster focusing. Three modes are available, including close-up (focusing distance between 19 and 40 cm), normal (focusing distance from 19 cm to infinity) and far view (focusing distance from 40 cm to infinity). The 1:1 mode shifts focusing to 1:1 with one-touch operation. Simply setting the mode according to the application makes it easy for users to shoot quickly and comfortably with various shooting styles and at a range of distances.

The optional LH-49 Lens Hood designed exclusively for the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 blocks harmful rays of light and can be safely stored without detaching it from the lens. The lens eliminates the hassle of attaching and detaching the hood before and after every shooting session, but also providing effective protection for the lens body. The FR-2 Macro Ring enables compatibility with the RF-11 Ring Flash and the STF-22 Twin Flash Set.

Limited Edition M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 in Black

Olympus also proudly announces the release of a limited edition black version of the popular M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 large-aperture, wide-angle, single-focal-length interchangeable lens. This high-speed lens offers outstanding imaging performance in an exceptionally compact design that is ideal for shooting dramatic landscapes and street scenes in low-light conditions.

It has a beautiful appearance and a snap ring that enables photographers to pan focus with a distance indicator. Its wide angle of 12mm (equivalent to 24mm on 35mm camera) delivers sharp, clear imaging capability throughout the frame, while fast, quiet autofocusing in both movie and still modes is made possible by the OlympusMSC (Movie & Still Compatible) mechanism, exclusive to Olympus.

Matching its superior performance, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 lens features a classically elegant look with a finely textured black metallic outer finish. The new version will be sold in a kit that includes three lens accessories; the LH-48 Metallic Lens Hood (Black), the LC-48 Metallic Lens Cap (Black), and the PRF-D46PRO Protection Filter.

U.S. Pricing and Availability

The Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f2.8 Dust-and-Splash-Proof Macro lens will be available in early October with an estimated street price of $499.99.

The limited edition black Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 lens will be available in early October with an estimated street price of $1,099.99.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Product images:

7993828078_8db96a8fb3_z.jpg

7993820601_ae9cf9a8c9_z.jpg

7993820531_2749e1d3e4_z.jpg

7993827816_71148fb27f_z.jpg

7993820363_21ec463d6d_z.jpg

7993827674_4b192d5ace_z.jpg

7993829492_204442fe8f.jpg

7993822251_ea253205a6_z.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    $500 for the 60mm, that's not bad I may be interested now.

Paul

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder why olympus use just a red dot for the lens timing marks. The raised bump on the Panasonic Lenses makes it so much easier to change lenses by feel without physically looking at them.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just don't shoot macro enough, but I love the 17/1.8 and this 60mm macro. Both are fantastic lens additions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    That macro does look very nice. Unfortunately I dont have an IS body to put it on, and will not manage without.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    anyone read the following part?

The limited edition black Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 lens will be available in early October with an estimated street price of $1,099.99.

REALLY?!?!?! is it $400 more to paint it black?

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    LOL! Don't forget it also says limited edition. So 200used for the black paint, 200usd for the engraving.

E-M5, P7-14, O12, PL25, O75, O75-300

• Like Like x 1
  9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Sweet! Been waiting for the 60mm macro for a while and I love it. The price is perfect and the IF/weathersealing (dust-splash-proof) seals the deal for me. Can't wait to get it.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    60mm Macro looks stellar for that price, especially if the IQ is in line with the m.ZD 45mm and ZD 50mm Macro.

But bugger me, between the 75mm 'additional' hood and the price of their new 'special' black 12mm (seriously Olympus, how much more expensive is black paint over silver? Perhaps 20c?) Olympus is not making itself popular with the masses...

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I must admit the pricing makes the 60mm a tempting lens . . . :rolleyes:

12. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    The 60 looks fantastic, especially for the price. But why Olympus, why can you make a $499 60mm dust and splash proof, but can't make the $800+ lenses dust and splash proof?

At least the special black 12mm comes with a hood finally, Olympus must be listening.:eek:

13. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Wow great price on the 60mm macro, I thought $499 was a mistake when I saw it on m43 rumors. If its good as the PL45mm Ill be replacing it for the extra working distance and weather sealing.

I don't know why people are complaining about the price on the Black 12mm, Olympus likely made small batches increasing the price. It was nice enough that they made a Black version for those who wanted one, other manufacturers don't go to the trouble of making a different color for a high grade lens (maybe Pentax?). Canon doesn't even bother making a Black version of their ugly white L lenses, and if it did it would probably cost more.

14. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Anyone know the ring-size on 60mm macro, is it 58mm?

15. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Just found it, It's 46mm so fairly Small and light body weighing only 185g!!

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I'm all over the 60mm macro if it delivers and is $499. Plus having a weather-sealed short telephoto is really, really nice! I'll have a 12-35 and 60 kit for bum weather days (need something for the PNW)! :2thumbs:

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    This one looks to be a more "proper" MACRO lens when compared to the Leica 45...It being weatherized is an added bonus. :smile:

18. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Ugh...I was hoping the macro would be way more expensive than this! Now I'm going to be tempted to buy one regardless of how perfectly happy I am with my Vivitar 90mm f/2.5. Thanks Olympus! :mad:

19. SuzailanJai

SuzailanJai Mu-43 Regular

Preview | M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro by Zuikoholics Malaysia. Within the next few days there' ll be more about the initial impression on this lens from the editor-in-chief of Zuikoholics, Amir Ridhwan, based on the unit which arrived from Olympus Malaysia. A full review and sample images will be published in due time. Stay tune....

Preview | M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro « z u i k o h o l i c s

• Like Like x 1
  20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    To be fair- it does come with a black lens hood and pouch :wink: That alone is like what- $150