Olympus Introduces BCL-15 f/8 Body Cap Lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From the press release:

Is It a Body Cap or a Lens? It’s Both.

Olympus also introduces an intriguing new lens for its Micro Four Thirds line. The BCL-15 f8.0 Body Cap Lens serves as a body cap when carrying the camera around without its interchangeable lens, and transforms to become a pan-focus snapshot lens to capture images. The lens is so thin – just 9mm thick – that it can easily be mistaken for a camera-mount body cap. With three glass lens elements in three groups, it can be used as a wide-angle lens equivalent with a single focal length of 30mm (35mm camera equivalent). In addition to daily use as a “pan-focus” lens featuring a wide angle, fixed f8 aperture and shallow depth of field, it is compatible with manual focusing using a lever and capable of close-up shooting as close as 30 cm. A lens-protection barrier is provided so the lens can be mounted permanently on the camera and even put in a pocket together with the camera.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Note of clarification:

The BCL-15 is not included with any of the new Pen cameras.

I didn't see the price in any of the press materials but was told that it will be "very affordable" and available in October.

Update: UK pricing has been indicated as £70.

------

Product images:

7993821995_c6f7decb3d_z.

7993826866_bcceb6eeab_o.

• Like Like x 1
  3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Are Olympus on drugs or something?

4. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    That's wonderful. Fast lenses are great, but as long as this is sharp and clear this will be an amazing daytime, outdoors lens. I only hope it's successful enough that they do a few, maybe a 30mm and 50mm or thereabouts.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    LOL. This is the only new release I want! I like my OMD and am set on lenses. I'd just like this to play with :) 

Maybe get an EPL5 later to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    It will be very nice to have a digital triplet and at f8 it will probably be very sharp.

7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I look forward to seeing some images taken with this lens. This lens could be either great or the complete opposite.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Except for diffraction kicking in about there ...

9. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't think it stops down anyway, right(?) so it's likely tuned at just before the diffraction point, I would think at least (and with no other aperture, I guess you can't test it, lol).

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I was really hoping they were going to include this in kits. Even if it's not a great performer, it's a unique option to have. Leave it on the camera and you're always ready to shoot.

11. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree. If they included this with an EPM2 sans the 14-42, I bet they'd move a lot of units.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've been thinking about this and it would be great to stick on my E-P1 to have a nice portable camera to keep with me in a coat pocket or belt pouch. I used to carry a small Panasonic P&S all the time - this would be a solid replacement. :biggrin:

13. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Does it come with a lens hood or is it sold seperately?

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Doesn't look like the lens has any filter threads, so probably means no way to attach a hood or a filter.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm buying this lens...refurb'ed! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    a lightly focusable 100mm equiv stuck at f8 wouldnt be as useful as a wider lens stuck at f8 that you can barely adjust focus on... am i right?
    wider = more in focus, tele = less in focus
    so a 50/f8 lens would have some random weird spot in focus... i think that would be awkward

id go for a 12 and 18 version tho

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    isnt f8 the very teeeeeeency bit of diffraction, and its just beyond that that youd actually notice it?

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    $120 lens hood available at launch

;) 

• Like Like x 1
  19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Is it going to be issued in an array of designer colors??

20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    This would be a nice complement to my "fun" lenses- the Wanderlust Pin Wide, Holga, and the 25mm + 35mm CCTV lenses. It would be the TSHG lens of that bunch though (toy super high grade :wink:)

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.