Olympus Introduces BCL-15 f/8 Body Cap Lens

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    From the press release:

Is It a Body Cap or a Lens? It’s Both.

Olympus also introduces an intriguing new lens for its Micro Four Thirds line. The BCL-15 f8.0 Body Cap Lens serves as a body cap when carrying the camera around without its interchangeable lens, and transforms to become a pan-focus snapshot lens to capture images. The lens is so thin – just 9mm thick – that it can easily be mistaken for a camera-mount body cap. With three glass lens elements in three groups, it can be used as a wide-angle lens equivalent with a single focal length of 30mm (35mm camera equivalent). In addition to daily use as a “pan-focus” lens featuring a wide angle, fixed f8 aperture and shallow depth of field, it is compatible with manual focusing using a lever and capable of close-up shooting as close as 30 cm. A lens-protection barrier is provided so the lens can be mounted permanently on the camera and even put in a pocket together with the camera.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Note of clarification:

The BCL-15 is not included with any of the new Pen cameras.

I didn't see the price in any of the press materials but was told that it will be "very affordable" and available in October.

Update: UK pricing has been indicated as £70.

Product images:

• Like Like x 1
  3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Are Olympus on drugs or something?
  4. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    That's wonderful. Fast lenses are great, but as long as this is sharp and clear this will be an amazing daytime, outdoors lens. I only hope it's successful enough that they do a few, maybe a 30mm and 50mm or thereabouts.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    LOL. This is the only new release I want! I like my OMD and am set on lenses. I'd just like this to play with :)

Maybe get an EPL5 later to go with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    It will be very nice to have a digital triplet and at f8 it will probably be very sharp.
  7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I look forward to seeing some images taken with this lens. This lens could be either great or the complete opposite.
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Except for diffraction kicking in about there ...
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I don't think it stops down anyway, right(?) so it's likely tuned at just before the diffraction point, I would think at least (and with no other aperture, I guess you can't test it, lol).
  10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I was really hoping they were going to include this in kits. Even if it's not a great performer, it's a unique option to have. Leave it on the camera and you're always ready to shoot.
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I agree. If they included this with an EPM2 sans the 14-42, I bet they'd move a lot of units.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I've been thinking about this and it would be great to stick on my E-P1 to have a nice portable camera to keep with me in a coat pocket or belt pouch. I used to carry a small Panasonic P&S all the time - this would be a solid replacement. :biggrin:
  13. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Does it come with a lens hood or is it sold seperately?
  14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Doesn't look like the lens has any filter threads, so probably means no way to attach a hood or a filter.
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm buying this lens...refurb'ed! :wink:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    a lightly focusable 100mm equiv stuck at f8 wouldnt be as useful as a wider lens stuck at f8 that you can barely adjust focus on... am i right?
    wider = more in focus, tele = less in focus
    so a 50/f8 lens would have some random weird spot in focus... i think that would be awkward

id go for a 12 and 18 version tho
  17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    isnt f8 the very teeeeeeency bit of diffraction, and its just beyond that that youd actually notice it?
  18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    $120 lens hood available at launch

• Like Like x 1
  19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Is it going to be issued in an array of designer colors??
  20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    This would be a nice complement to my "fun" lenses- the Wanderlust Pin Wide, Holga, and the 25mm + 35mm CCTV lenses. It would be the TSHG lens of that bunch though (toy super high grade :wink:)
    • Like Like x 3