Olympus Introduces BCL-15 f/8 Body Cap Lens

Amin Sabet

Administrator
From the press release:

Is It a Body Cap or a Lens? It’s Both.

Olympus also introduces an intriguing new lens for its Micro Four Thirds line. The BCL-15 f8.0 Body Cap Lens serves as a body cap when carrying the camera around without its interchangeable lens, and transforms to become a pan-focus snapshot lens to capture images. The lens is so thin – just 9mm thick – that it can easily be mistaken for a camera-mount body cap. With three glass lens elements in three groups, it can be used as a wide-angle lens equivalent with a single focal length of 30mm (35mm camera equivalent). In addition to daily use as a “pan-focus” lens featuring a wide angle, fixed f8 aperture and shallow depth of field, it is compatible with manual focusing using a lever and capable of close-up shooting as close as 30 cm. A lens-protection barrier is provided so the lens can be mounted permanently on the camera and even put in a pocket together with the camera.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Note of clarification:

The BCL-15 is not included with any of the new Pen cameras.

I didn't see the price in any of the press materials but was told that it will be "very affordable" and available in October.

Update: UK pricing has been indicated as £70.

------

Product images:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Blastop

Mu-43 Regular
That's wonderful. Fast lenses are great, but as long as this is sharp and clear this will be an amazing daytime, outdoors lens. I only hope it's successful enough that they do a few, maybe a 30mm and 50mm or thereabouts.

WT21

Super Moderator
LOL. This is the only new release I want! I like my OMD and am set on lenses. I'd just like this to play with :)

Maybe get an EPL5 later to go with it.

sLorenzi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sidinei
It will be very nice to have a digital triplet and at f8 it will probably be very sharp.

sokar

Mu-43 Veteran
I look forward to seeing some images taken with this lens. This lens could be either great or the complete opposite.

WT21

Super Moderator
I don't think it stops down anyway, right(?) so it's likely tuned at just before the diffraction point, I would think at least (and with no other aperture, I guess you can't test it, lol).

Liamness

Mu-43 Veteran
I was really hoping they were going to include this in kits. Even if it's not a great performer, it's a unique option to have. Leave it on the camera and you're always ready to shoot.

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I've been thinking about this and it would be great to stick on my E-P1 to have a nice portable camera to keep with me in a coat pocket or belt pouch. I used to carry a small Panasonic P&S all the time - this would be a solid replacement. :biggrin:

Bokeaji

Gonzo's Dad O.*
That's wonderful. Fast lenses are great, but as long as this is sharp and clear this will be an amazing daytime, outdoors lens. I only hope it's successful enough that they do a few, maybe a 30mm and 50mm or thereabouts.
a lightly focusable 100mm equiv stuck at f8 wouldnt be as useful as a wider lens stuck at f8 that you can barely adjust focus on... am i right?
wider = more in focus, tele = less in focus
so a 50/f8 lens would have some random weird spot in focus... i think that would be awkward

id go for a 12 and 18 version tho

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
This would be a nice complement to my "fun" lenses- the Wanderlust Pin Wide, Holga, and the 25mm + 35mm CCTV lenses. It would be the TSHG lens of that bunch though (toy super high grade :wink:)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom