1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus interview: new mirrorless designs, VFs, etc.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Dec 18, 2011.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Olympus's marketing division's director Haruo Ogawa recently gave an interview with a Japanese magazine.

Julie at DPR has helpfully translated many of the key points: Japanese PEN/E-5 successor PDF translated: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Among them:
    *A new mirrorless design, different from the Pens, will be announced soon
    *They're looking at ways to improve the VF in a big way
    *A successor to the E-5 is being developed

See the link for more details.

DH

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is really exciting news. It seems to indicate a "Pen Pro" announcement "soon" -- maybe first quarter of the year?

I am loving my EPM1, and I can shoot fine with it through to next summer as my only camera. But I'd love to have a "Pro" body -- a very nice one-two setup!

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, assuming they keep the body reasonably-sized (GH2 or smaller) and either release a high quality kit lens, or make 4/3 lenses work properly on it.

I think the ideal m4/3 lineup would be something like:

$400 - E-PM2: E-PM1 w/G3 sensor
    $650 - E-PL4: E-PL3 w/G3 sensor, 900k flip LCD, removable grip
    $900 - Pen Pro: GH2-style with weather-sealing, next-gen 20MP sensor, 5fps (15 frame buffer), 900k articulating LCD

Plus:
    VF4 - 2.0MP EVF, locking pin, same size as VF1
    MMF3 - 4/3 adapter with PDAF sensor for 4/3 lenses

Cheers,

DH

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't forget to make it weather sealed. ;)

Oh, and don't forget to add the on-sensor PDAF in the Pen Pro body too. ;)

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Weather-sealing would be good. Not sure why on-sensor PDAF is needed if it's being done by the adapter. Nice thing about an updated adapter is it will help all m4/3 bodies, not just ones with the newest sensor.

DH

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It'd be nice to see the nikon 1 style AF on m43. I couldn't really do anything extensive in the store, but it seemed quite impressive. Though, don't know if we need PDAF in specific, but whatever to get the same results w/o sacrifices works for me =)

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think on sensor PDAF should be a priority

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am very interested to see what they come up with. Hopefully they will have it out the same time as the GH3. I am waiting on the GH3 myself but it would be nice to see another pro level m43 body.

10. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    I am not sure how the adapter helps older cameras, but new sensors are greatly needed. Olympus is falling further behind in this critical area. Right now Olympus must convince potential customers that they are not going out of existence and/or are not simply falling so far behind as to no longer be a viable option. On top of that, the mirrorless camera market is becoming crowded and there are more options than ever when it comes to choice of size. There is the "almost pocketable" Nikon 1 Series on the smaller side and the Sony and others on the larger side. ยต4/3rds risks being marginalized by not being small enough for convenience on the one hand and not being big enough for a high IQ (larger) sensor on the other hand.

And then there is the 800 pound gorilla in the room...the matter of Olympus' financial condition. Yahoo! published an article about Olympus reporting that they will run out of cash in 2015. The medical devision is profitable. The camera division is not. Draw your own conclusions.