1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus in trouble

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jdp, Oct 15, 2013.

1. newphoto

newphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Are you suggesting that we should not buy any new Olympus m4/3 bodies or lenses? Is there a high degree of risk? I have a new OMD EM1 and 12 -24 lens on pre-order.

2. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

While I do not like some of the things Olympus has done as a company (such as their accounting scandal), it is now old news in the sense that these concerns have been public for a while. Hopefully Olympus is now moving forward and dealing with some of these issues.

my personal opinion is that many (if not most) potential purchasers are more interested in the characteristics and perceived value of the actual cameras, etc. than in issues of corporate governance or financial issues (unless, of course, these kinds of issues threaten the quality/functionality of the cameras, or the fundamental solvency or function of the firm that manufactures and services them).

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Buy what you want. It will last long enough and then, like the rest of us, you'll buy something else. You'll go nuts trying to base purchases on the rumored health of camera companies. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  4. jdp

jdp Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    I will take your new EM1 and lens off your hands so you don't suffer any humiliation from owning Olympus equipment :biggrin:

5. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Nothing new there. Just a poor attempt to sensationalise old news. But with no names mentioned and vague "it seems/appears to be", and it's all somewhat 'we spoke to a few guys on the phone who reckon...'. Goldbrick journalism on a slow news day.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Reads like propaganda aimed at bolstering Samsung and Sony. I love how the columnist quotes an unknown official of Olympus' local rivals by telephone. For all I know, that could be my dog making that phone call when I'm away! I'd take that article with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

7. newphoto

newphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Thanks. I will.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The article is about Olympus trying to grow its market share in Korea.

I think Olympus cameras and lenses may still work just fine. :biggrin:

9. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Another gloom and doom view buy competitors :smile

10. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Exactly. It quotes unnamed people from Samsung and Sony talking Oly down. I did find it interesting that they note Sony is the major shareholder in Olympus. I didn't know that before.

I think we've all balked a little at the high price of the E-M1. It's not a surprise that people in Korea would also balk. But it's the top of the line body. You can get cheaper Oly bodies in Korea surely. And I also imagine that there's some nationalistic pride at work in the large market share for Samsung. (not that NX is not a good system, it's just new and suffers a bit from the lack of lenses like the other mirrorless systems not m43).

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This is all old news, being rehashed by people with agendas.

13. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    As others have stated this is very old news.

This article is disgraceful and I would like to think it is not widely read by the consumers who it is aimed at. People higher up the business knowledge chain will take as negative marketing by Olympus competitors which is all it is.

Taking the points further I am guessing (but don't have the figures) that they are comparing all digital cameras and of course Nikon and Canon are bigger. But I wouldn't mind seeing the figures for mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras! I expect Olympus will be at or near the top in this field.

For sure the competitors are getting worried about just how good the OMD range is. With many professionals already jumping ship with the E-M5, just wait and see what happens once the E-M1 gets more use out there in the big wide world!

Best regards

Chris

14. newphoto

newphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    I am one of those who is trying out the Olympus EM1. If it is as good as I think it will be, I will be jumping ship from a whole array of Canon full frame gear.

15. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    Same here. I have already sold my Nikon D3X as it was not getting used since buying the E-M5 in January this year.

The E-M1 is due to arrive tomorrow. If, it is good enough for sports and wildlife then I have a lot of Nikon gear to sell!

Best regards

Chris

16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
  17. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes, it kept referring to the local market, i.e., Korea.

18. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Eh? If it's North Korea then it's cutting edge journalism on the latest news. If it's South Korea then it's a lame article about old news like it would be anywhere else. :biggrin: