Olympus in body stabilization vs panasonic mega ois

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by neverfeelsorry, May 23, 2014.

1. neverfeelsorry

neverfeelsorry New to Mu-43

May 23, 2014
    Hi, just got Omd M10 with Panasonic 14-140 zoom lens. I need help from experienced users, which would give better results. In body stabilization or lens based stabilization. I guess we have to choose one pf them during shooting to have better results

Help will be appreciated

Sent from my SM-P600 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. ippikiokami

ippikiokami Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    No choice, the Panny OIS won't work with Olympus cameras

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm pretty sure that's not right.

Anyways, IBIS is usually better except at telephoto focal lengths, so I'd leave it on IBIS unless shooting at 140mm.
    If the lens has a OIS switch, you can use that to toggle; the IBIS will shut off if OIS is on.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Incorrect. Both versions of the Panasonic 14-140 have OIS that can be used on any Olympus body, even the old ones.

I only had a chance to test the OIS on the older Panasonic 14-140/4.0-5.8 on the E-M5, but based on that, I'd stick with IBIS. It's possible that the newer Panasonic 14-140/3.5-5.6 has improved the OIS mechanism, but I'd still bet on the IBIS being more effective.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    So for a EM-10 the 100-300 panasonic should be the better option in this regard?

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Better than what?

The Oly 75-300?

The Pana has OIS, but supposedly has some focus hunting on Oly bodies.

Barry

7. Medley

Medley Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    I just got the E-M10 a month ago, having used a GH1 for five years, as well as 3 Pana lenses with OIS. Since getting the E-M10, I've fooled around with both options and settled on using the Oly IBIS. There is a menu setting that allows priority to in-lens stabilization over in-body. I've got that turned off; I prefer Olympus' stabilization (or at least am very confident in it's abilities).

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I use the P100-300 on my E-P3 - no problem with focus hunting, ever. OIS stabilizes the image on the LCD better than IBIS, but I haven't noticed a difference in actual photos. I have experimented with both and only use the OIS at 300mm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I can't tell you about an E-M10 but on my E-M5 and E-M1 that lens does better with OIS than IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have hundreds, probably thousands, of exposures with that lens on my E-M5 and E-M1 bodies - I have never experienced focus hunting.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm using Pana 14-140mm f3.5 (new version) with E-M10. Power OIS is definitely better than IBIS. IBIS is most useful for primes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  12. neverfeelsorry

neverfeelsorry New to Mu-43

May 23, 2014
    I think for now Ibis seems better but I will today try the opposite and give feedback