Olympus image stabilization

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hartt, Aug 22, 2015.

1. hartt

hartt Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Perhaps a stupid question, however I can't find the answer. I have an Oly Epl-5, also a 75-300 and EVF-3, and a Panasonic FZ-200 (24-600). When trying teleshots at full length, the image, no matter viewed on the EVF or the LCD screen is: OK with the Pana, and quite jerky/jumpy with the Oly. I suspect it has to do with the Pana OIS and the Oly IBIS. However, as I recall with the previous superzoom Fuji HS-10, that had only sensor-shiftstabilization, it was better than the Olympus.
    Any opinions?

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Is the Panny OIS switch ON or OFF? If ON, change it to OFF so that with both lenses you will be using only the Oly sensor shift image stabilization and see if they both act the same now.

3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I may be wrong about this, and I don't have an EPL-5 to test, but I think it has the same 2 axis IBIS as my EPM1. On the EPM1, the displayed image doesn't apear to be stabilised when using IBIS, I think it only activates on full shutter release. On my EM10 with 3 axis IBIS, you can hear the IBIS when you half press the shutter release and the image becomes stable through the display.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. hartt

hartt Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    PakkyT. I'm afraid you got me wrong. I'm not using Panasonic lens on Olympus body. I have two different cameras: the EPL-5 and the compact Panasonic FZ-200. And when preparing the shot, while the image on the Panasonic EFV/screen is steady, on the EPL-5 it is so jerky that it is really difficult to focus and to compose the frame...

5. hartt

hartt Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    PeeBee, thank you, maybe this explains the situation. Yes, the EPL5 has 2-axis IBIS. Well, perhaps it's time for upgrade :)

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    With the EPL5, and other older PEN's with the screw drive IBIS, I have to trust that the camera will AF using my longer lenses, and I use a high enough shutter speed 1/(2 x FL), so IBIS isn't needed. This does get me in trouble with manual focus lenses, Best thing there is to set the lens on something stable.

7. hartt

hartt Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Thank you, HarryS=

8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    This is correct. The Olympus cameras with 2-axis image stabilization are NOT stabilized during composition/focus. The stabilizer is active only during the exposure. (This is also true for the 2-axis stabilization in the Panasonic GX-7.)

With a stabilized Panasonic lens, the stabilization is active whenever you half-press the shutter, so you can see the stabilized image in the viewfinder/screen. Same is true for Olympus's 3- and 5-axis systems. Very helpful for manual focus. Your EPL5, however, has the 2-axis system which doesn't stabilize on half-press of the shutter, only full-press.

9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ah, I see. Ok different issue. I am semi new to mirrorless so I am not sure if the function exists on the newer Oly cameras, but back when I was using Oly dSLRs, for those models that supported live view (my old E-520 and E-3 come to mind) if you pressed and held the IS button on the back of the camera, it would activate the IS system while composing your shot. Looking at my E-M1 and my E-P2 (which I have only had a couple months) neither has any buttons dedicated to IS and when I tried programming one on the E-P2 the button only brought up the IS selection menu. Holding it didn't activate the IS system. Hmmm, it would be too bad if Oly dumped that function on Pen and OMD models.