Olympus Image Share works with Android Lollipop on Galaxy S5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by GBarrington, Feb 3, 2015.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I just got the Lollipop update for my Samsung Galaxy S5 via the Verizon Update process. I did a quick check with OIS, and it works. In case you are interested!

• Like Like x 1
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Yep, thanks. I have a Nexus 6 and it works for me as well, although making the wireless connection can be really difficult with the EM10. No idea why it has to be so touchy.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I need to raise this thread again because I have just received an option to update my Galaxy A3 phone presently with KitKat Android 4.4 to Lollipop 5.0.2. Is it all OK with everything using Lollipop & also does the Olympus OIShare work properly with it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Ross, I've been running Android 5.0 for quite awhile on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and OIShare has been working fine.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  5. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I second @barry13@barry13 with regards to Note 3 and Android 5, although there are days I wish I hadn't upgraded to 5 :(
    Olympus Image Share works faultlessly, and I think the app has updated at least once since the upgrade to Android 5

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

Thasks Barry & Michael. Why do you wish you hadn't upgraded? Do you find KitKat (or whichever level you had) easier, nicer to work with?

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I just got a Nexus 9 with Marshmallow (Android 6.0) on it. I'll test that out too and see if the OI Share has any issues. My guess is no issues, but you never know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Initial look was positive. Was able to open the app and it ran as you would have expected it. I don't have my OMDs on me right now...but once I get them, I will check connectivity and remote control functions.

9. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    I've just had a far greater number of issues since the upgrade, all of which weren't present before.
    Problematic bluetooth pairing
    Sudden increased battery consumption due to hidden app activity
    Intermittent freezing
    Intermittent crashing

It can run for weeks without issue, and then it'll be very unreliable for a while.

Removing Facebook and Messenger almost doubled the battery life!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I actually find the opposite of what you are seeing. Running 5.1 on my Moto X (2nd Gen) and battery life is great, stability fantastic.

11. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Back to the OI Share App. Tested every function with an Olympus EM5 Mk II. Shutter release functioned fine, live view functioned perfectly. Imports all OK.
    Again, this is on a Nexus 9 running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)

12. MichaelSewell

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    :( 5 not 5.1

and not offered the upgrade to 5.1 either

13. Ross the fiddler

Samsung has rolled out Lollipop 5.0.2 for the Galaxy A3 (& A5 & A7) phones & I am not keen to jump in unless it is worth it & won't cause any problems. "Better the devil you know than the one you don't." I have heard of issues with networks not connecting afterwards etc. from initial 5.0 upgrades.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    My Note 3 has been stable on Android 5.0 except every time I plug in headphones, I get 2 popup messages about "recommended apps list has crashed"... that is the thing that's supposed to show a couple extra icons on the notification screen when headphones are plugged in; nothing important, but the popups are annoying and have to be manually cleared to use the phone again.

On the other hand, a couple other issues I had such as the Samsung Calendar fighting with the Google Calendar are resolved in 5.0.

Barry

• Informative Informative x 1