1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Image Share App

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mrerics, Dec 19, 2014.

1. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    I've been thinking the Olympus Image Share App could come in handy for remote live view/shutter with my E-M1, particularly for experimenting with lighting in the studio without having to run back to the camera to see the result of repositioning a light. (Totally understand how valuable modeling lamps are now, but for the moment I have to make do with a set of Yongnuo's.)

Two questions:

1) I cannot seem to get the Image Share app to install on my Android tablet. My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kid's Tablet running Android 4.1.2 that I thought I'd be able to borrow after bedtime, but the Play Store says "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I'm not really an Android person, are there some apps like this that simply cannot be installed on a tablet and only work on phones or something? The Panasonic app runs fine on this tablet with my GM1, but that doesn't do me much good in the studio. :smile:

2) If my Android tablet is a no-go, I might consider picking up a cheap used device primarily to run Image Share. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Image Share on iOS vs Android? Does either version have a tendency to work better than the other for purposes of remote live view/shutter?

Thanks in advance for any input you folks could provide!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it may be that Android 4.1 isn't supported by Olympus... Have you checked to see if a firmware upgrade is available for the tablet?

Barry

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I'm running it on Android 4.4.2.

It works well to do what you describe on my phone, Samsumg Galaxy S4. Good for self portraits too.

4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, it is both tablet and phone... I use it on my iPhone and iPad... and there's no difference in functionality.

Unfortunately, you're hitting one of the downsides of Android. The version of Android you're running is not compatible with the App. Olympus basically wrote the compatibility out to take advantage of something in a newer version of the OS. You'll have to upgrade to use it. Is your device upgradable to something newer? Check the Google store and see what Olympus requires as a minimum version.

Otherwise, they should both work exactly the same. Although I've found the Wifi coverage on iOS devices to be better than Android devices. You can walk with an iPhone farther away from the E-M1 and still have it respond than you can generally with an Android device - but then again the only Android devices I've tried are HTC devices, and their Wifi reception isn't so great to begin with.

5. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    Get the Android apk (name is currently "OLYMPUS Image Share_2.4.apk") from somebody that could install it and then install this apk manually... I am sure it will work 100%... in your Android settings you have to disable that the installation is checked in the background by play store... all apps that are not offered for my tablets in play store I install this way without any problem

6. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    Thanks for the feedback. The Android version was the first thing I suspected, but the Image Share page on the Play Store says it requires 2.3 and up, so seemed like 4.1 should be no problem. The built-in software update check on the tablet says I'm running the latest version, but I'll dig further as far as firmware updates and such. Kirschm - thanks for the tip, very interesting, will give that a try!