1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Image Share App (Live view) w/ Raw files?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by A1short, Jul 18, 2015.

1. A1short

A1short New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2015
    Hi,
    I'm using an OMD E10 and I sometimes use the Olympus Image Share App (on an iPhone) shooting raw images. I've noticed that even though I have only raw files selected in the camera .....when I download the card there is also a full size jpeg of each image!
    Am I doing something wrong in the set up? Or does the camera need to generate a jpeg to show as the image on the phone (why can't it show the raw file....probably can't convert it to jpeg for viewing on the phone?).
    Interested in feedback from anyone who is using this app and shooting raw files.

Thanks!

2. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I don't use the Olympus app (no wifi in my E-PL5), but from my experience with Canon's similar app, the reason for JPGs is so that you can transfer them to your phone (for subsequent editing, uploading, whatever).

Be thankful you still get a RAW image. Using Canon's app with my G7X it forces the camera to shoot JPG only, even if I have it set for RAW. Needless to say, I don't use the remote shooting feature on my G7X that often. I'm looking forward to buying a new wifi-equipped Olympus camera sometimes soon.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Check your camera settings. Additionally your phone is not capable of showing Olympus RAW images, nor would you want to wait for the RAW to transfer to your phone. When I'm shooting with OI Share I'm shooting MN and Raw so I'm not waiting for large jpg to download.

4. A1short

A1short New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2015
    Yes, that's too bad the Canon just ignores the raw request!

5. A1short

A1short New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2015
    Yes, agree the phone can't display a raw file. It seems odd that it would default to saving a separate full size jpeg when the camera is already generating some kind of jpeg preview file every time you shoot raw file anyway (the preview that shows up on the back of the camera). I wonder why this preview is not used as the Live View preview in raw....?

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Extracting the preview jpg still takes specific programming and phones aren't designed for this, and you'd still be waiting for the RAW to download over the slow connection.