Olympus IBIS with panasonis OIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mjgraaf, May 15, 2014.

1. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    When i mount a pana lens with OIS on my oly OMD EM1, and i switch on the lens OIS from the pana, it seems that oly automatically switches of its own IBIS. Did not know about this, but love it! Or am i overlooking something?

sent from my Sony using Tapatalk...

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's right. The OIS switch always takes priority. If there's no switch, but the lens supports OIS, then priority is determined by the 'Lens I.S. Priority' setting. Importantly, the setup is designed so that you can't accidentally have both systems active at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a setting in the camera menu you can change to make your camera prioritize IBIS or lens OIS, but of course this is only for the newer fully-automatic IS lenses. Otherwise if you have an older IS lens you flick the switch on or off yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    As far as I know, this feature only exists on the latest Olympus models: E-PM2, E-PL5, not E-M5.
    What about E-P5?

• Like Like x 1
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Not on the E-M5, at least not yet. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Everything after the E-M5 has it, which includes the E-P5. The E-M5 and earlier models don't.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The IBIS mechanism is always on and only active when needed, so when you set IBIS to S.IS Auto and the OIS switch is turned on, the camera instructs the lens OIS to compensate for "ALL" movements like body S.IS 1 and the actual body IBIS become inactive.(explained and confirmed by Olympus Tech USA and it's in the manual as well). This mode applies to cameras that have the S.IS Auto mode (panning IBIS) which automatically switches to S.IS 1 and better communicate with lenses that have OIS but do not come with physical on/off switch when the lens priority setting is active. Another advantage is that you can maintain high speed burst rate with lens OIS on as well as mitigating shutter shock that the lens OIS is so effective in reducing (pre-firmware 1.4) on my E-P5, because 0 sec anti-shock is not available in 9fps burst.

E-P5, E-M10, E-M1 and any camera that has the panning IBIS setting (S.IS Auto) can do this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes. I wonder if that's a feature that could be added in a firmware update? That's a very common-sense setting for m4/3 users who have Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I expect a firmware update is all it would take. The OIS information is being communicated from the lens in all cases (the mounts are physically the same - there are no extra pins or contacts on the newer cameras), it's just the camera isn't programmed to make use of it in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That would be my hunch but it's not my trade. :wink: The post was sort of in the nature of a weak hint about future firmware updates. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1