Olympus IBIS with panasonis OIS

mjgraaf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Menno
When i mount a pana lens with OIS on my oly OMD EM1, and i switch on the lens OIS from the pana, it seems that oly automatically switches of its own IBIS. Did not know about this, but love it! Or am i overlooking something?

sent from my Sony using Tapatalk...

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
When i mount a pana lens with OIS on my oly OMD EM1, and i switch on the lens OIS from the pana, it seems that oly automatically switches of its own IBIS. Did not know about this, but love it! Or am i overlooking something?
That's right. The OIS switch always takes priority. If there's no switch, but the lens supports OIS, then priority is determined by the 'Lens I.S. Priority' setting. Importantly, the setup is designed so that you can't accidentally have both systems active at the same time.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
There is a setting in the camera menu you can change to make your camera prioritize IBIS or lens OIS, but of course this is only for the newer fully-automatic IS lenses. Otherwise if you have an older IS lens you flick the switch on or off yourself.

vm666

Mu-43 Veteran
As far as I know, this feature only exists on the latest Olympus models: E-PM2, E-PL5, not E-M5.
What about E-P5?

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David

sent from my Sony using Tapatalk...
The IBIS mechanism is always on and only active when needed, so when you set IBIS to S.IS Auto and the OIS switch is turned on, the camera instructs the lens OIS to compensate for "ALL" movements like body S.IS 1 and the actual body IBIS become inactive.(explained and confirmed by Olympus Tech USA and it's in the manual as well). This mode applies to cameras that have the S.IS Auto mode (panning IBIS) which automatically switches to S.IS 1 and better communicate with lenses that have OIS but do not come with physical on/off switch when the lens priority setting is active. Another advantage is that you can maintain high speed burst rate with lens OIS on as well as mitigating shutter shock that the lens OIS is so effective in reducing (pre-firmware 1.4) on my E-P5, because 0 sec anti-shock is not available in 9fps burst.

E-P5, E-M10, E-M1 and any camera that has the panning IBIS setting (S.IS Auto) can do this.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Everything after the E-M5 has it, which includes the E-P5. The E-M5 and earlier models don't.
Yes. I wonder if that's a feature that could be added in a firmware update? That's a very common-sense setting for m4/3 users who have Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Yes. I wonder if that's a feature that could be added in a firmware update? That's a very common-sense setting for m4/3 users who have Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies.
I expect a firmware update is all it would take. The OIS information is being communicated from the lens in all cases (the mounts are physically the same - there are no extra pins or contacts on the newer cameras), it's just the camera isn't programmed to make use of it in this case.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
That would be my hunch but it's not my trade. :wink: The post was sort of in the nature of a weak hint about future firmware updates. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom