Olympus IBIS Seems To Still Be The Best

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
DPR Review TV released their review today on the Canon R6, and Jordon shot the episode with the R5. Jordan said the video IBIS was very good on both, but Olympus was better! Chris only commented on stills with the R6 and said while Canon IBIS was rated for 8 stops...yada...yada, and better than Nikon, Sony and Panasonic, it was not as good as Olympus. He gave a specific example of using a 105mm lens with the R6 in daylight to 1/4 sec. before shake set in, or about 4-1/2 stops. The R5 they used was pre-production and he wanted to test the final version before commenting on it. He did express concern that the R5 stills IBIS might not be quite as good as the R6, due to the 45MP.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/2834730544/dpreview-tv-canon-eos-r6-review

Way To Go Olympus!

Edit: For Jordon's comment go to 5:15, for Chris go to 8:35.

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I’m not surprised. It would be extremely difficult to get a full frame sensor as well stabilized as Olympus’ tech on an m4/3 sensor, much less better. It really does seem like Canon was gunning for Olympus’ niche with their latest announcements. While there are some impressive features, especially with the R5, I still would choose Olympus.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Seems like Canon overstated the effectiveness of their IBIS, kinda like Fuji did for the XT4. In a head to head comparison with an EM1 III, the Olympus beat the Fuji. As Mathieu notes, "If we analyse these first results further, we can understand why the CIPA rating doesn’t tell the full story." Different in the real world.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/fuji-xt4-vs-omd-em1-iii-ibis/

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
While I am sure the R5’s image quality and auto focus are top notch, I don’t really need any more in either of those areas, so it was the 8 stop IBIS claim and the 120 FPS 4K that really made my jaw drop. These claims really seemed to push the envelope, and the former would have been very damaging to Olympus. The R5 still seems really good, but now I’m not as impressed with either.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Better than their direct competition at least but 105mm sounds like the 24-105mm was used, which supports double stabilization.
At least this seems like a less-than-apocalyptic release but 4.5 stops with double stabilization is making me wonder what a normal non IS lens is going to perform like from the body alone.

Blind guess: Halve the numbers for "real world" stops?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ouldsmobile

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kevin
It's a bit funny. I have seen a few youtube reviews of the new canon cameras and all the features(stabilization, silent shutter, fast framerates[still slower the the EM1's], etc etc) the reviewers seem to be raving about have been in Olympus bodies for years and years. :-/

Makes you wonder.....

Serhan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was watching dpreview comparison of EM1 III vs G9 and stabilization at 4:25:
https://www.dpreview.com/videos/134...-mark-iii-who-s-the-king-of-micro-four-thirds
Chris was mentioning he can shoot consistently 1/3sec with EM1 III and 1/4 sec with G9...

When I used EM5 III with Pana 12-32mm, I pushed to 1.6sec (not consistently) vs when I tried SL2+m lens, I managed 1.3 sec indoors with 47MP sensor which most probably using Panasonic IBIS tech. Of course the FF sensor might be harder to stabilize... Hopefully we will see an independent testing from Matheiu with the other cameras... However, I think live nd is more interesting and so far nobody adopted that...

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Here is a similar IBIS test for video:

Comparing the E-M1 mark III, GH5, Fuji X-T4 and Sony A6600. Guess who won? :)

Regards, C.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Seems like Canon overstated the effectiveness of their IBIS, kinda like Fuji did for the XT4. In a head to head comparison with an EM1 III, the Olympus beat the Fuji. As Mathieu notes, "If we analyse these first results further, we can understand why the CIPA rating doesn’t tell the full story." Different in the real world.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/fuji-xt4-vs-omd-em1-iii-ibis/
But Canon buyers will still swallow that marketing ploy though, even if it isn't as great as they claim.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
It's a bit funny. I have seen a few youtube reviews of the new canon cameras and all the features(stabilization, silent shutter, fast framerates[still slower the the EM1's], etc etc) the reviewers seem to be raving about have been in Olympus bodies for years and years. :-/

Makes you wonder.....
When their first DSLR came with an articulating screen, they did the same, even though Olympus had it for ages before in the E-3 & then E-30 which got lots of flack over it at the time.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Having owned both a G9 and now a E-M5 mk iii, I can't really tell. I think with Panasonic, more lenses support the dual IS, which feels more noticeable when you engage focus. I suspect the E-M1 mk iii and E-M1X are a cut above the E-M5, so maybe that's where the difference really plays out. Either way, both Olympus and Panasonic do great things with IBIS. It's telling when I zoom to 300mm, and then engage the 3x focus zoom and can still keep a somewhat steady lock on a small subject in handheld. By my math, that's the FF equivalent of 1600mm in my viewfinder and I can actually still take images without needing a tripod.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
But Canon buyers will still swallow that marketing ploy though, even if it isn't as great as they claim.
I don't think it's a marketing ploy but rather just a sign that the current CIPA test is just not a terribly useful metric for modern stabilization systems, there's not even a meaningful metric for video stabilization defined. With that said, the OP's summary, while technically correct, somewhat misconstrued the spirit of the video's comments. The consensus from Chris and Jordan seems to be that Canon is definitely the best FF IBIS and also seems better than anyone other than Olympus. They mention 1/4s at 105mm being around the limit for the Canon, but you have to put that in the context that they also previously made the claim that 1/5s was the limit for the E-M1X + 12-100mm at 25mm; in that context the performance of the Canon seems quite a bit better.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't think it's a marketing ploy but rather just a sign that the current CIPA test is just not a terribly useful metric for modern stabilization systems, there's not even a meaningful metric for video stabilization defined. With that said, the OP's summary, while technically correct, somewhat misconstrued the spirit of the video's comments. The consensus from Chris and Jordan seems to be that Canon is definitely the best FF IBIS and also seems better than anyone other than Olympus. They mention 1/4s at 105mm being around the limit for the Canon, but you have to put that in the context that they also previously made the claim that 1/5s was the limit for the E-M1X + 12-100mm at 25mm; in that context the performance of the Canon seems quite a bit better.
If that's the best they can manage with the E-M1X + 12-100, they ought to check into an aged care facility! I routinely manage critically sharp photos with my E-M1 MkII + 12-100 at slower than that at 100mm ...

[edit] Forgot to mention, I'm 73 y.o. with bad osteoarthritis in my wrists, elbows, shoulders, etc ...

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom