1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus HLD-6 (OM-D grip) questions...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

Arrrghhh...GAS is hitting hard right now. I could get the HLD-6 grip for around $200...so I think I'm going to get it.

I do have a few quick questions, though (one right now, more later as I think of them)...how flawlessly does it switch from one battery to another?

For example...let's say I'm doing a SUPER long exposure (for argument's sake)...will it switch from one battery to another without interrupting the image? Or if I'm shooting video...will it switch batteries on the fly?

2. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    You select how you want it to work with batteries in the grip.

Use the battery in the grip first then the camera or use the camera first and then the grip.

If you have come from a DSLR and like that feel, you will love the grip. I always leave the landscape grip on my cameras at all times.

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, I know I can select how it uses the batteries (the order), but my big question is how smooth is the TRANSITION. IE: is there *ANY* sort of interruption when it switches batteries? If I'm taking a video or a long exposure shot, will it be interrupted when it switches?

Yeah, I've had a ton of DSLRs, most with grips, and even some pro cameras with the "built-in" grip (Canon 1D)...but part of the reason I got the OM-D is to go down in size...so, I think I'll leave the right-side grip on most of the time, take it off for travelling, and only use the bottom grip when absolutely needed.

4. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    The transition is seamless, and the grip works very well.

I tend to leave the horizontal grip on the camera as I find it makes the handling much better. Although it does make the camera bigger, there is little practical difference to the size once you take in to account the depth of an attached lens.

IMO, the only downside to the grip is the need to take it off to charge the in-camera battery.

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome, thanks...I was hoping for a seamless transition, this effectively doubles the battery life (as opposed to being the equivalent of changing batteries)....good news. I think I'll order one tomorrow. ;)

Another question: When you mount the grip, does it automatically disable the original shutter button?

Yeah, it's only the depth, but there's also a bit of added height, as well as the weight and appearance (I like my camera to be as stealthy as possible)...I'll get it and see how I like it in the long run...yeah, having to take it off to change the battery is a MASSIVE oversight...usually when I'm out and about shooting I shoot through a battery and a half...so it'll be a daily nuisance.

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Well, I just ordered one...and then I realized that I keep a tripod plate on the bottom of my camera at all times (it literally went on the minute I unwrapped the camera and hasn't left)...this is going to get annoying with the two-piece grip...grr...oh well...I'll see how much of a bother it is...I guess I could just take the plate off when I'm not using it (to minimize the bulk on the camera/allow for easier mounting/dismounting of the vertical bit)...but I kind of like not having to worry about the plate.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The nice thing about the horizontal part of the grip is that the tripod mount is aligned with the lens.

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Tje original shutter button stil functions.

Gordon

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks guys!

New question: If I set it up to use the grip battery first...can I go through THREE batteries uninterrupted?

Idea: grip battery --> in body battery (change the grip battery in the meantime) --> grip battery again?

10. TransientEye

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    I don't think that this will work. Popping out the grip battery isn't as bad as turning the camera off and on again, but it does cause a brief (1/10th second) interruption to the display.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do? For extremely long exposures (e.g. star trails), you will need to stack a sequential set of images anyway, and it is unusual to need many hours of contiguous video recording...

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    You don't necessarily have to stack. I've done nearly 2 hour single exposure star trails. ;) But then there's noise reduction for the same amount of time on top of that...

I want to get a fisheye lens and to do startrails with that you need time...and lots of it. So I'm trying to maximize the amount of shooting I have with it...especially since the OM-D batteries don't last nearly as long as my old DSLR batteries did.

What if I'm stacking...can I do the changing of the grip battery, or will that mess things up? Thanks for the input, by the way, I appreciate it. :)

12. TransientEye

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    If the camera is in manual, just stop the exposure, change the battery and start the next one.

One reason to stack many short exposures is that you can disable the auto dark-frame subtraction and take your own dark frame(s) manually if needed. If the exposures are too long, the dark frame noise can cause highlight clipping which will not help subsequent processing.

I think Olympus make a power adapter that fits in to the battery compartment, though I have not use it. This might be easier to use if you are trying for 10-12 hour exposures...

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, but like I said, I'm looking for info on a *SINGLE* exposure (ie: no stop/start or stacks).

I have done lots of stacking and single exposures, I like to switch it up...power adapters are not really an option as I'm usually out in the middle of nowhere. :)

14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    New question...is it possible to use the vertical part (the one with the battery compartment) without the grip part?

15. CliftonBowers

CliftonBowers Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    please remove the links mentioned below to stop the spamming procedure

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Well, I got the grip...of course the vertical bit won't work without the hand grip...

I'm actually not crazy about it...I'm leaving for Japan in the morning and I'm leaving the grip behind...I like the way the grip feels when holding the camera...HOWEVER...it places my index finger at a very awkward position for reaching the two custom buttons (Fn./REC) on the top plate...I'll give it a proper try when I'm back from Japan, but for now I'm a little disappointed...oh well...