1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus High End E-M7?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 4, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I've seen some references to the High End E-M7 but no real info.

Has anyone heard of what the improvements are??

Rumors | 43 Rumors

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I think it's anyone's guess at the moment, although I'm sure that many of us have an idea what we're hoping it will be. The only reasonably certain information is that something is on the way, probably to be announed in September.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I only know that it will come with some sort of solution to use FT lenses.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you know that as a certainty?.... or are you just reading the same rumors as the rest of us?

K

5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    As I've said before, it will be unveiled on September 11 in Dublin, so you will know whether I'm right in a month :)

P. S. Sorry for being coy, I just don't want Olympus to come after me.

6. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm wracking my brain but I can't think of what improvements can be made on the O-MD!

The evf can be better like the evf-4... But what else? Focus Peaking?

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Better AF-C :smile: At least that would be a worthy upgrade for me :smile:

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    They could improve the ergonomics. They could and certainly will add focus peaking. They could improve the video capabilities. They could improve the sensor (but I doubt that they will, given Olympus' history of using sensors for multiple generations - but maybe they can solve the purple blob flare issue with extreme wide angle lenses).

And most importantly, they could significantly improve the AF performance with 4/3 lenses. This feature alone will get them many new customers.

9. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    What would make me buy the E-M7 in an instance

- PDAF on sensor to support older 43 lenses in a satisfactory way
    - 1/8000 shutter from E-P5
    - true iso 100 while maintaining high iso performance of E-M5 sensor
    - Evolved focus peaking closer to what sony is offering. I want lag free, able to choose color and sensitivity
    - Better ergonomics. I would like it to be closer to GH3 then E-M5.
    - Built in VF4
    - Weather sealing

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    that list sounds about right. wonder where they'll get a PDAF sensor though...?

11. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    From Sony :) They already have on sensor PDAF and next year they will go all in on mirrorless I think.

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Given the close Sony/Olympus alliance, it is highly probable, always IMHO, that the E-M7 will be the first camera where Sony's rumored "next generation" on-sensor PD-AF will be implemented. Along with the FF NEX camera, if they are announced at about the same time.

This is a technology that Sony bets about everything, given their future (2014) Alpha cameras will be non-SLT.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :( All I want is the new sensor but in an e-410 or e-620 body.
    *sob*

14. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    E-620 was nice, which reminds me. I want my articulated screens back! :D

15. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I can think of plenty of upgrades and features the next omd can be given. I messed with a d600 and d7100 today and just can't pull the trigger until I see what the next omd has for us and what the 42.5 retails for. I won't put up with the size / weight unless mu43 doesn't deliver in The announcements in September.

16. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Do you want the small, dim and generally worst in the industry viewfinder as well?

17. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I'm hoping, after the techncial details mentioned above is added, that they will have two om-d's in their lineup. One neat and small like the em5, and one beefier, more ergonomically correct ala pro nikon(without all the bulk:)) with improved batterylife.

Historically it makes sense; the OM's had the pro single digits and amateur double digits.

Also, I would like to see 14bit rawfiles as an option.

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

>>PDAF on sensor <<

How long have we been asking? I don't think its going to happen....

I'd be happy with improved tracking AF.

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Have you used them? They are actually not nearly so bad as you imply. Being OPTICAL viewfinders, they actually are, IMHO, better than the EVFs on Micro 4/3 cameras - as well as almost all other mirror-less cameras. Micro 4/3 finders might be brighter and appear larger, but unlike any optical reflex finder, the Micro 4/3 finders also have latency issues with moving subjects when panning - whereas optical viewfinders transmit what you are shooting at the speed of light, with no latency whatsoever.

In any case, I give you credit for being able to regurgitate a criticism you might have read somewhere, without actually having the experience to recognize it's irrelevancy, and how it actually only relates to how it compares to other OPTICAL REFLEX viewfinders.

20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I agree on the first statement; and in fact OM-x cameras were differentiated by their OM-xx sisters mainly by being below "pro" level in construction (i.e. by today's standards, this would mean no magnesium alloy body, no weathersealing, and such).

While I personally have little real use of PD-AF and its advantages at all, I shall stand by my previous argument about Sony. They absolutely need to provide backwards compatibility with their PD-AF optimized Sony and Minolta lenses, very much more so than Olympus does with legacy FT glass. This is why I believe they have new technology at hand and this technology shall continue to evolve.

An indication about where things are going (hint: kissing the flaping mirror goodbye) is what Canon has done with the 70D. It's an interim solution, of course, as was SLT for Sony. But I strongly believe by the end of 2014 technology will be quite mature. My bet is on hybrid CD/PD AF systems driven by clever algorithms and lenses will appear that take advantage of these systems.