1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus hierarchy

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joanlvh, May 21, 2013.

1. joanlvh

joanlvh New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2011
    is the new camera EP5 an upgrade to the OMD 5? Where does the E pm 2 fall in the Olympus camera hierarchy ? thanks for explaining joanlvh

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    EPM-2 came out around the time of the EM5. It has the same sensor and processor but not the same IBIS. The EP-5 is supposed to be a slight upgrade in IBIS and processing over the EM5. I believe that's the gist of it.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Olympus has four basic model lines: PEN Mini (E-PMx), PEN Lite (E-PLx), PEN (E-Px) and OM-D (E-M5).

• The PEN Mini (e.g. E-PM2) is the smallest form factor.
    • The PEN Lite (e.g. E-PL5) was sort of conceived as a "dumbed down" entry-level model aimed primarily at P&S upgraders, although the line has evolved significantly and I'm not really sure that description applies any longer.
    • The PEN (e.g. E-P5) is the high-end of the PEN line with more external controls (i.e. less reliance on menus) than the Mini or Lite lines.
    • The OM-D basically adds a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF).
    All of the current models share the latest 16MP sensor, so the differences are primarily in ergonomics and features.

To answer your question directly, the E-P5 is not meant to be an OM-D replacement, but since it is the newest camera it does add some features that the OM-D currently lacks (e.g. focus peaking, 1/8000 max. shutter speed, ISO 100, WiFi, etc.).

4. joanlvh

joanlvh New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2011
    thanks very much for your helpful replies, I'm getting it. joanlvh

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you want (perhaps way too much) more specific information on the differences in the model lineup here's a spreadsheet I put together that breaks down most of the relevant specs for all of the :43: bodies.

You can filter the spreadsheet, e.g. to show just the particular models you are considering, by clicking on the small down arrow in any of the column headers.

6. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    DeeJayK - that is a very nice little spreadsheet you put together. That must have taken some time!

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Wow - what a fantastic table!! Best summary of m43 bodies I've seen. Thanks.