Olympus has no-intention-to-create-a-video-oriented camera

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I think it may just be that Olympus doesn't want its imaging division to be a drain on the company so they won't start making extra low volume models that will be behind Panasonic for a long time. JMHO, but I think Olympus was referring more to the GH5s than the GH5. If they just maxed out the video they can do in the EM5 iii that would give them some market in video. I suspect that Olympus is not interested in cutting edge video but rather "a rising tide lifts all boats".

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I think it may just be that Olympus doesn't want its imaging division to be a drain on the company so they won't start making extra low volume models that will be behind Panasonic for a long time. JMHO, but I think Olympus was referring more to the GH5s than the GH5. If they just maxed out the video they can do in the EM5 iii that would give them some market in video. I suspect that Olympus is not interested in cutting edge video but rather "a rising tide lifts all boats".
I agree, I don't see them doing something like a GH5s, but I would like to see something like a GH5 (especially given the price that Olympus is, or was, charging for the E-M1 II at launch).

The DCI 4K is of very good quality in the E-M1 II. The downside is that the UHD 4K isn't as sharp as the DCI 4K (or at least it wasn't prior to FW 2.0, I have yet to check it after FW 2.0). While I wouldn't expect Olympus to unlock 4K 60p through a FW update for the E-M1 II (that would likely, and hopefully, come on the E-M1 III), it would be really nice if we could get 120fps 1080p via FW upgrade. How feasible that is though, I have no idea.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I admit I have very meager knowledge of what high end video entails. I'm assuming that the EM1 Mark x or EM5 Mark x could handle it. My only thought is that panasonic may have all these algorithms worked out and I'm not sure how easy or expensive it is for Olympus to work them out for themselves.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
An incredibly short-sighted view IMO. As @wjiang said, video is definitely an area of growth within the camera market, evident by the success of Sony's A7 cameras, the GH54/5/5s, etc.

Honestly, if the E-M1 II could do 120fps video, it would be the near-perfect camera for me. As good as the video is on the E-M1 II, I wish there were a few more advancements that Olympus would implement.

I also think the E-M1 II is very close to being a good video camera for a large percentage of users. Olympus does not need to produce a video-centric camera like the GH5s to attract video shooters.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I also think the E-M1 II is very close to being a good video camera for a large percentage of users. Olympus does not need to produce a video-centric camera like the GH5s to attract video shooters.
Agreed. As nice as 4K60p would be, I would honestly be happy if they gave us 120fps 1080p video for some true slow-motion effects.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
I like the image from the EM1mk2 in 4k and UHD. Especially when the flat profile "Picture Mode" is turned on.

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I remember when I joined the forum most of the discussion was around Olympus gear, now it seems to be evening out.
My local camera store tells me Panasonic are catching up a bit now, but Olympus still selling more. Mainly EM10's.

What suprised me was they indicated the EM1.2 was not selling as well as expected.
But this could be down to disposable income, since the price is a lot higher, hence the interest in the EM10's

Well, the E-M10 offers a LOT of value for the money. True, the video is kind of sucky, but you can't have everything.

To all: Don't forget, Panasonic has been involved with video for a good 20 or 30 years at least! FAR longer than they have been involved with m43s, or 4/3s in general. I've got an old Camera in my basement somewhere the size of a suitcase that was aimed at the consumer market.

Do a google search on Panasonic video cameras - You will see some VERY serious professional cameras of exceptional quality. I'm pretty sure, they see their m43s cameras as hybrids and not fully "professional".

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
To remain competitive and relevant in the changing camera market?
I think they’ve already done that, at least with the E-M1 Mkii, and perhaps the EM10 Mkiii. Those features will likely make there way into the next cameras as well. I’m sure their announcement didn’t mean they would dtop improving video features in their cameras.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is the focus really manual on the focus clutch lenses? I thought it was still focus by wire.
And it has hard stops for close and infinity like a true manual focus lens, and a distance scale. It is a major benefit once you've used it a few times. Trouble with AF on a tricky subject? just pull the collar back and fine tune it by hand. No buttons or menu diving. Use it all the time on my 40-150 Pro for focus through branches and leaves for hiding birds.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
They need to add O-Log to the EM1mk2 though. That would make it almost perfect for the video capabilities it has.

Latest threads

Top Bottom