Olympus has no-intention-to-create-a-video-oriented camera

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Not sure about it financially though, video is where the growth is.
    I guess it's their way of acknowledging that they are great at optics and not so much at software, so are sticking to what they are good at.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    An incredibly short-sighted view IMO. As @wjiang@wjiang said, video is definitely an area of growth within the camera market, evident by the success of Sony's A7 cameras, the GH54/5/5s, etc.

Honestly, if the E-M1 II could do 120fps video, it would be the near-perfect camera for me. As good as the video is on the E-M1 II, I wish there were a few more advancements that Olympus would implement.

4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds good to me, they now have more time to concentrate on improving their menus.

I really wonder what percentage of photographers are interested in high end video in real usage terms like what the GH5 series offers ?

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think you're looking at it a bit differently. A better way to look at it, at least from Olympus' standpoint, would be "how much of the market are we missing out on by not offering high-end video features?"

It would obviously take a while to build up the brand recognition in the videography circles, but that's what Fuji is currently doing. I think Olympus would stand a very good shot IMO. They have great OOC colors, class-leading IBIS, excellent lenses (including the native fast primes with the MF clutch)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Well plenty will be using those lenses on Panasonic bodies :p
    I know Jordan Drake highly recommends them (they now adapt the Sigma ART 18-35 and 50-100 for the GH5 though).

7. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    I wonder how much reading in between the lines should be done in regards to that statement. The GH5 isn't exactly a video centric camera either - its a hybrid camera. It shoots stills well and it shoots videos really well. The GH5s' stills quality isn't significantly improved but the video sure is and its definitely biased towards video more than stills.

It is pretty clear that the statement is about a GH5s kind of an E-M1II.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    While I agree with you that the GH5 is a hybrid camera, I'm betting that if you were to poll the majority of members here, they would say it was a video-oriented camera. The 5s is clearly video-oriented, and it seems to really be working well for Panasonic.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

And yet they have half the market share of Olympus overall.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Source? That's certainly not the case when it comes to the video market

11. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Sounds like a good move to me. Canon isn't number one because of it's video. I think Olympus is aiming at the Pro photographer industry. It's the only explanation to their ridiculously expensive pro prime lenses.

12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The fast f/1.2 aperture and manual focus clutch have a huge appeal to the video industry as well, just as an FYI.

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I remember when I joined the forum most of the discussion was around Olympus gear, now it seems to be evening out.
    My local camera store tells me Panasonic are catching up a bit now, but Olympus still selling more. Mainly EM10's.

What suprised me was they indicated the EM1.2 was not selling as well as expected.
    But this could be down to disposable income, since the price is a lot higher, hence the interest in the EM10's

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Is the focus really manual on the focus clutch lenses? I thought it was still focus by wire.

15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It is, but the focus does not jump like it does on the 12/2 or 17/1.8. It is extremely linear, which is very welcomed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    If they had a manual aperture ring they would really be special..

17. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Maybe for some, but I never saw the appeal of it on my PL 15 when I owned it. Even when I had it with a GH4 where it worked, I still never used it and just left it in "A", and adjusted aperture via the camera dials. Too weak of a detent IMO. The Noktons have a much better manual aperture ring (more solid detent clicks). However, when it comes to adjusting aperture while recording, I'm generally not a fan. Adjusting the aperture forces you to change your exposure, which I don't care for.

18. Xx123456xX

Xx123456xX Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2017
    Houston, TX, USA
    Jake
    Since I prefer Oly glass over Pana glass, I'd probably switch to Oly bodies if the EM1.3 has video specs on par with the GH5. I'd like it to have the ability to switch between 59.94Hz (NTSC), 50.00Hz (PAL), and 24.00Hz (CINEMA). Though 422 10-bit is cool, I find 420 8-bit to be good for most cases.

If it were real-time exact 120fps (not 119.88), I'd be sold.

19. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Another consideration is while Olympus and Panasonic are supposedly competitors, they also cooperate on :mu43: ; and when it comes to respective sizes, Panasonic dwarfs Olympus by at least an order of magnitude and could probably swallow them with pocket money. Without any insider knowledge, I'd bet there's a kind of "truce" between them, where Oly gets the high end photo market, and Pany the pro video market.

M.

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So then what's the G9 from Panasonic?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.