Olympus Has Fallen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oto02, Apr 11, 2013.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I hate the fact they used the same font and all caps that is used for the Olympus brand name.

If you want to read hw "Olympus" has fallen, check out the book "Exposure, inside the Olympus scandal: how I went from CEO to whistleblower" by Michael Woodford.
  3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Michael Woodford is a hero, and the greedy execs and the Yakuza are certainly the destoryers of Olympus. Let's hope it can recover. The camera division has remained a beacon of "purity" through all this though.

You can't work in virtually any position in the camera division unless you are a photographer. Not one? You'll be given a camera and assignments to shoot and your manager will critique your work. You'll be made to shoot both Olympus and competing brands to make sure you understand what makes Olympus distinct from others.

It's an amazing philosophy and I think it's great.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Troll, but a good one. Well played sir.
  5. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Hero : I don't need a big canon to bring down the bad guys. A pen is mightier than a sword.
    Villain : But you can't shoot sports.
    Damsel : At least you have it with you all the time.
  6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I must say this cracked me up a bit.
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I didn't know that ... (the photographer angle). As to Woodford, my personal experience having worked in Japan, I can't fathom a Japanese exec blowing the whistle, ever. Not knowing all the facts, I wonder about Woodford's motives.

8. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
  9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have a crackpot theory about this. What I think is that the crooked guys at Olympus thought that by bringing in a Brit they'd be able to hide more. The culture of corruption that is supposed to be endemic in too many Japanese businesses was perceived I think as something only someone Japanese could understand and see into.

Woodford, from what I understand, found it just running numbers. Sometimes being buried in a cultural milieu of one kind of another makes you blind to what's going to be obvious to those not embedded in that culture, lol.

Edit: I'm willing to give Woodford the benefit of the doubt though. Any CEO worth his salt should call bad accounting to the attention of the board and the financial department of the corporation. It could be nothing but that: bad accounting -- but such errors need to be corrected. To ignore accounting irregularities would amount to dereliction of duty.
  10. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    I didn't either. I'm speechless ... what an awesome rule for a camera maker!!
  11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I only just started reading the book, but good read so far, doesn't feel too sensational which is what I was afraid of initially given that on the cover there is a quote from some Channel 4 guy that states: "SENSATIONAL".

It wasn't only numbers that lead Woodford to exposing the issue, some Japanese magazine started talking about it out loud and many people knew things aren't what they seem - but the board was trying to isolate Woodford from this knowledge. More in the book ;)
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I agree, an awesome rule. Kudos to Olympus Camera Division.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    +1 :crying:

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!