1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus has cojones - 'New" Black 12mm f2.0 :)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sgreszcz, Aug 28, 2014.

1. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12mm f2.0
    NOW AVAILABLE IN BLACK!
    Fast, wide-angle lens ideal for dramatic landscapes and street scenes. Now $799.99, or $599.99 with PEN or OM-D purchase.* Available now for immediate shipping!

• Like Like x 2
  2. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
  3. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    So glad I didn't commit to the "Collectors" edition "old" black 12mm model...this one must take way better pictures and be very very black indeed!

• Like Like x 3
  4. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Maybe it is a different shade of black, or ninja black for street shooting?

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Or maybe the folks that paid $1200 for the "collectors edition" are the folks that PT Barnum had in mind

6. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    If it's any consolation, this one is made in China. The 'Special Edition' black was made in Japan. One can assume higher QC/QA for the old one...

7. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Apparently black is the new black.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear - it doesn't seem long ago I saw a thread here from someone selling a black "limited" edition and talking up its rarity value. I'd be really unhappy if I'd forked out $1000+ for one of the old black models. I wonder if Oly will be offering a compensation scheme for owners of the old black lens?

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I don't see why that should be the case. It's just a 'build to print' exercise. The Chinese work force is very good, well I hope they are, they make at least half the things we own!

10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm still holding out for the 'Serious Black' edition.

• Like Like x 5
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Like the normal black E-M5 versus the 'Pro' black E-M5?

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Bah humbug I wanted a white version of various lenses or odd colours so it looks like I have a clown camera when Im wandering around the streets, the odd Pentax etc don't interest I like my m43 cameras and don't want an SLR.

13. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hate to admit that I bought into the O12LTD new...

...at the cost of the silver. That said, thought the retail price for the LTD version was just a roll-up of the accessory cost rather than paying a premium simply for the colour?

As for 'Made In China', sorta surprised that anyone bothers to mention this even in jest. As Ricoh suggests a majority of our goods (or at the very least the components that are parts of the sum total) are produced in the region. No-one says boo about the number of Apple products produced there, so why should optics be singled out?

*steps off very short soapbox*

14. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    this normal priced black color version was bound to happen, since olympus has already released black versions of their other premium lenses, 17mm, 25mm and 75mm.. and it's a good thing as it's easier to match black lenses on different body colors, at least for me. :)

15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Three words:
    Reality Distortion Field

More words:
    I don't want to go on a rant about how people suck down Apple's marketing as they actively turn their brains off to listen to the load of **** that they pour into their needy consumeristic mouths. Or how they ignore every little mistake Apple has made. Or the ones that have to annoy me about they own so many Apple products and that I'm "inferior" as I don't own a room with two Apple Cinema Displays hooked up to the latest rubbish-bin shaped Mac Pro while they pocket the latest iPhone in one tight jean pocket while they hold the iPad Mini with Retina Display in one hand and have iPad with Retina Display on their Bauhaus themed desk that the Mac Pro rests on.

I wonder if anyone noticed the 17mm f/1.8 is made in China... Or the E-M5. Or E-M1. Or the RX100M3

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I really don't think we need that kind of garbage here Reflector. Aren't there plenty of other places you can go to rant about Apple?

• Like Like x 3
  17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I have bolded the parts of the comments that have shocked and confused me when I was reading them.
    Is it possible that the both of you were being sarcastic when you wrote those parts?

18. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    They're no more special than any other company. They just have a particularly intense fanbase, in the sense that Volkswagen has one in the car world. Or BMW.

I can give you a proper "rant" but that's pretty unproductive for everyone here. Sometimes you just need to balance out the gushing praise for a company that doesn't deserve all of it.

Let me summarize Chinese manufacturing quality:
    The amount of money you give them is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL* to the quality of product.

*Up to a point.

19. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I like Mac OS X thats why I use a mac, I can work my way round it instinctively and it thus gets out of the way, do not think its 'better' than any other its what I like. I have a 7 year old iPod its served me well but I wouldn't buy another as it does not play lossless files. As far as the snobbery goes thats the stuff of bell ends oh my x is better than yours oh its not made by hyper corp you know its there in cars or HiFi, always boring. The anti Mac fan clowns are just as boring, buy things that work for you why worry about others tools.

20. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I used to use a Macintosh Quadras and the old rainbow colored translucent iMacs for years and I have been using an original, first generation iPad (A gift) for a few years. However, by certain standards I am "inferior" as a human to the local Mac users when they see I don't take an iPhone out. It's fine for them to "voice their opinions" of course, just as much as say, complaining about Panasonic or Olympus or their users bases. Just like its totally okay to say how Apple is very good and how anything else (OS, hardware, etc) isn't around here. Can't say anything bad about Apple without a whole lot of people coming down on you. Nope, can't say one thing at all about the recent things they've done or how they've gone about borrowing design cues from Braun.