1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Global Photo Contest 2014

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by esnift, Oct 3, 2014.

1. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Is anyone else participating in this?

http://gpc.olympus-imaging.com

I received an email from olympus about 24 hours before the contest closed and don't remember receiving any prior notice.

2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I did. I also got at least two prior notices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I am. But I added my pictures way too late to get enough points to do well. :frown:

4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I added a pic some time ago, but I'm too lazy to promote it on all the social media websites I'm on. I have zero points. lol

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I entered kinda late....just checked. Got 100pts so far. Not sure what that translates to, but I don't think I'll be winning a new 40-150 F2.8 anytime soon. I didn't promote myself or anything.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    On a side note. That site is dreadfully slow. If it's not improved no one is going to bother voting.

7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    According to the rules the judges just "take into consideration" the points. So it sounds like the typical social media harvesting and vote bots won't have much of an impact on the final outcome. But probably getting at least a few votes is a good thing!

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I was wondering about that too...however, I see where you can leave comments, but not where you can vote.??

9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I believe voting ended at the same time contest entries were stopped. In other words, if you submitted near the cutoff time it was impossible for anyone to vote on your photo!

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yeah I wasn't sure if I remembered that correctly. That's really not fair. Should be a voting only period and shuffle the entries...but I guess it's primarily based on the judges at least. I didn't hear about it til late August or Sept.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I put a few in 20 hours before it closed. Didn't see anything before that.

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid they will choose 20-50 most voted pictures in each category to be shown to the judges and they will decide the winners. I can't imagine the judges going through thousends of pictures...

EDIT: And yes, they should have enabled voting after the entry period was over. This is the basic fault of almost every photography contest: it's too much about "vote whoring" (pardon my language...). It's not always really about the picture - it's about connections, sharing and who participated early. I understand the voting makes it easier for the contest organizers but there are good ways and poor ways to do it. Obviously truly spectacular pictures will triumph despite the poor voting system. Or at least I hope so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Before re-reading the rules and answering my own question, I submitted an inquiry to Olympus support and I received this as a reply:

"As is indicated on the homepage, the voting period ended at 11AM Friday
    Oct.3rd, Japan standard time (same deadline as entries), and voting is no
    longer possible.

However, also as is indicated on the homepage, winners will be selected
    through judging by three professional photographers.
    Although user voting will be taken into consideration by the judges, a
    larger number of votes does not necessarily secure a better chance of
    winning."

So read whatever you want into that. To me it makes sense that they would use votes to par down the number of judged photos, but it seems like that might not be the case after all.

• Like Like x 2