Olympus FW Servers may have changed address-Previous Mac Version Workspace/Updater won't update

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Big and exciting FW update coming on Dec 2. This is installed through Olympus Workspace and the built-in Olympus Updater.

Short Version: To be ready have the latest Oly Workspace for Mac version 1.4.0 installed, as I had problems with previous Oly version 1.3.3 software and it would not update and had to reinstall newest version.

Longer Version: Never updated my EM1.3 to the V1.1 software so I tried tonight and the first thing upon opening Oly Workspace was to say I needed to update. Did so and it installed version1.3.3. and Olympus Updater was 2.3.2. Hooked the camera up, set to Storage and hit enter. Camera and iMac communicated but every time it came back saying it could not connect to the server. So I tried just Workspace and hit the software update and it came back with the same message. But since I just updated this was strange. Tried a half dozen times over an hour, but the same no connect to server message came back from both the software and updater.

So I downloaded new Workspace software from Olympus website, having to give my camera serial number and installed it. Now this software was a different version, even though I had just updated the newest a hour before. It is Workspace version 1.4.0 and Updater 2.3.3. When I hooked up the camera the update process found the server and all went well.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I was going to do that, but i just cant trust doing that via a phone. I just don't trust WiFi, prefer a hard cable connection.
My windows 10 computer keeps shutting itself down (MS blue screen), so I won't be using it & will power up my windows 7 older laptop instead (after 5th Dec). I certainly don't want to brick my E-M1 II at this point of time.

My windows 10 computer keeps shutting itself down (MS blue screen), so I won't be using it & will power up my windows 7 older laptop instead (after 5th Dec). I certainly don't want to brick my E-M1 II at this point of time.
Someone posted ahwile ago that their widows 7 pc would not update to the latest workspace, so i not try mine in case i bricked my installation.

I tried to find previous verions of workspace but so far no luck

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well there is the backdoor method of installation. I documented the E-m5 mark III method here. I used the same method to find the link to the E-m1 mark III firmware, but since I don't have that camera, I can't test it. I did upgrade my E-m5 mark IIII to version 1.2 of the firmware:
The lightsnowdev.com has the firmwares for most of the Olympus cameras. When I wrote the post, they did not have the E-m5 mark III firmware, but they do now. It looks like they don't have the E-m1 mark III firmware at present.
Somebody else mentioned how to find the files for the firmware (look at the link for the the description of the firmware update, and then modify the other names to match the version number and machine number).

With this method, you put the firmware in a special directory on the SD card, and power on the camera while holding the OK button. This is evidently the way the Olympus techs use to update the firmware (for example, when they do cleanings at my store, I believe they have a SD card with all of the latest firmware versions for the cameras loaded, so they can easily update the camera). But of course, it is not officially supported by Olympus.

Note this only covers firmware for the camera bodies. I don't know of a way to update lens firmware with an Olympus body using the SD card. Panasonic provides a method, so if you have bodies from both, you can use the Panasonic camera to update your lenses.

While things hopefully will go smoothly as the Olympus camera division transfers to JIP, I would as a matter of caution, update any camera firmware before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Real Name
Angus
I hate computers that shut themselves down for no apparent reason with a blue screen saying it needs to restart because of an error (Windows 10).

I hate how Windows will happily reboot with an unsaved Photoshop document of hours of work open but will halt a reboot for the sake of an unsaved Notepad document or Outlook draft with nothing in it.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I hate how Windows will happily reboot with an unsaved Photoshop document of hours of work open but will halt a reboot for the sake of an unsaved Notepad document or Outlook draft with nothing in it.
Nowadays you tell Windows when you don't use the computer. I tell it for me that is 1am to 7am. It will never reboot to do an update except during those times. You just have to remember to save your work when you go to bed.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lack of electronic focus distance scale for E-M1 mk2 is kinda annoying. Even my C-5060/7070 had that feature. I haven't used MF for E-M1 mk2 yet but if I get a macro lens maybe a focus scale would be useful.

Real Name
Angus
Nowadays you tell Windows when you don't use the computer. I tell it for me that is 1am to 7am. It will never reboot to do an update except during those times. You just have to remember to save your work when you go to bed.

I work inconsistent hours Scheduled Updates don't work for me.

I also work from home (long before COVID) and dual boot my desktop between home and work. If I initiate a reboot after my work day, go off and cook dinner, it's frustrating to find Windows as halted the reboot for the sake of an unwritten email (Outlook has perfectly good autosave functionality BTW) or an open Notepad document (yes I'm aware of and use Notepad.exe replacements, Notepad is still a good scratchpad for temporary stuff I don't care about).

I also deliberately have my home partition as the default option in the boot menu so I can reboot at the end of the day, go do something else and come back and have my home apps available to me.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I work inconsistent hours Scheduled Updates don't work for me.

I also work from home (long before COVID) and dual boot my desktop between home and work. If I initiate a reboot after my work day, go off and cook dinner, it's frustrating to find Windows as halted the reboot for the sake of an unwritten email (Outlook has perfectly good autosave functionality BTW) or an open Notepad document (yes I'm aware of and use Notepad.exe replacements, Notepad is still a good scratchpad for temporary stuff I don't care about).

I also deliberately have my home partition as the default option in the boot menu so I can reboot at the end of the day, go do something else and come back and have my home apps available to me.
If you had Win 10 Pro you could make the updates only happen when you tell it to. I do this with my laptop.

Real Name
Angus
If you had Win 10 Pro you could make the updates only happen when you tell it to. I do this with my laptop.

I do have Windows 10 Pro. There are also security policies in place that override my update settings of which I have no control over.

I actually set them up these same policies, and then left our IT Infrastructure team to head up our DevOps division. They're the responsibility of another sys admin now, and I don't have privileges to override them any more, and even if I did, it's not worth putting my job on the line for. I also have too much respect for my former IT Ops colleagues to go tinkering and overriding their policies, and they're good people to keep on my side if ever I need a favour from them.

Don't worry, you don't have to find a solution to this problem. It was an observation more than anything.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom