1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus flash system ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by john99, Sep 11, 2012.

1. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Is there a tutorial on how the system should work ?. Like if I want to kill ambient light I usually drop my SS to 1/200 sec (as an example) say the EV will drop to -3, on Nikon system using Auto ISO the flash will do its magic to compensate and expose the scene properly (no FEC needed). I've tried on OM-D + FL-600R it's underexposing.

TIA,

John

2. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    Usually to kill ambient light you'll do as you did set the shuttet for 1/200 or higher but if you're using auto iso you're allowing the camera to select a higher iso to compensate by upping the iso letting in more ambient light.

I'd suggest you set the iso to 200 manually to kill the ambient.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm confused as to what settings you're using on each system. It doesn't sound like you're using the same settings, as you say the OM-D shows -3 EV on the meter while you had the Nikon on Auto ISO. The Auto function will not allow the EV to drop like that unless you use Exposure Compensation, so I'm guessing that you're using more manual settings on the OM-D than you did on the Nikon.

Tell us specifically which settings you are using on flash and camera. Also, you talk about "exposing the scene properly". Properly in what way? You're asking to kill the ambient light. Proper exposure in the camera's eye will maximize the ambient light. So when you say "expose properly", are you talking about in your eye or the camera's eye?

4. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    In Nikon system, the ISO will select higher ISO when the flash has used certain amount of its power. I've tried similar scenario on OM-D and it doesn't work that way though.

5. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Yes, in Nikon system you can change EV while in Auto ISO mode. Using similar setup on OM-D the image with the flash is underexposed.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Having similar questions (found on a Google search). Doesn't look like this is resolved yet...

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There's a setting in the menus that ties the flash exposure to the ambient light (like Canon does) or you can set them to be independant of eachother (like Nikon). I don't know if this is the ultimate solution but I'd start there.

Gordon

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried flash compensation? Go through your settings (hold down the Mode button) and cycle through until you see the Compensation icon (just like on your camera), and turn that on. Then you can set the intensity bias on your flash with a turn of the dial ie, like +xx EV if you're getting underexposed.

Also, are you sure that you're not simply expecting the flash to do more than its output is capable of? Remember that the FL-600R is one of our smaller flash units which puts out half the power of the FL-50R. If you're using a larger Nikon flash like say the SB-900 or something, then you'll only get half the intensity you're used to at 1/1 power.