Olympus flash; Godox vs Metz vs Oly.... RC vs Transmitter

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
All,

I am looking to find an all around flash system with a focus on macro.. i am totally overwhelmed and would like some guidance..

since I travel light and am a total noobie with flash, the Oly RC mode “seems” like a good place to start since it doesn’t require a transmitter. However, it is likely old school and less reliable... Godox seems to get a lot of love but doesn’t seem to have the RC capability. Metz seems to have RC mode and the ability to grow out of RC mode.. then there is the OEM options.. my investigations have turned up multiple stories and spawned multiple questions so...

if you were looking to add a flash to your kit for general photography with the intent to use it for off camera OM-D EM10.2 macro like Robin Wong... what would you recommend

option as I see them.... (remember.. I don’t know what I Am talking about)
1) Godox TT350o... I don’t think it has RC mode so I would have to suck it up and learn how to dial in the power or buy a transmitter.. it also seems to have other bells and whistles like HSS and first curtain stuff. I *think* having a fully automated setup would be advantageous so I would likely get a TX
2) Metz m400o... seems to have RC mode and wireless for growth. It also seems to have most bells and whistles..
3) Oly FL-700wr.. OEM is usually a plus if you can stomach the price.. however, it is the new kid on the block so it may have bells and whistles that would be worth the extra bucks..
4) Nissin? Didn’t seem to be a fit... but... I know next to nothing..

I would appreciate any advice..

Regards
Dogbert62

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
All,

I am looking to find an all around flash system with a focus on macro.. i am totally overwhelmed and would like some guidance..

since I travel light and am a total noobie with flash, the Oly RC mode “seems” like a good place to start since it doesn’t require a transmitter. However, it is likely old school and less reliable... Godox seems to get a lot of love but doesn’t seem to have the RC capability. Metz seems to have RC mode and the ability to grow out of RC mode.. then there is the OEM options.. my investigations have turned up multiple stories and spawned multiple questions so...

if you were looking to add a flash to your kit for general photography with the intent to use it for off camera OM-D EM10.2 macro like Robin Wong... what would you recommend

option as I see them.... (remember.. I don’t know what I Am talking about)
1) Godox TT350o... I don’t think it has RC mode so I would have to suck it up and learn how to dial in the power or buy a transmitter.. it also seems to have other bells and whistles like HSS and first curtain stuff. I *think* having a fully automated setup would be advantageous so I would likely get a TX
2) Metz m400o... seems to have RC mode and wireless for growth. It also seems to have most bells and whistles..
3) Oly FL-700wr.. OEM is usually a plus if you can stomach the price.. however, it is the new kid on the block so it may have bells and whistles that would be worth the extra bucks..
4) Nissin? Didn’t seem to be a fit... but... I know next to nothing..

I would appreciate any advice..

Regards
Dogbert62
Robin likes his Olympus flash setup and the RC mode seems to work fine for him. I've tried the RC mode and it works most of the time, but once in a while it doesn't because it depends on the off-camera flash detecting the clip-on flash going off. Once in a while it doesn't, especially off-camera. I use an off-camera flash cable to get more reliable flash shots.

I haven't tried the Godox system, but heard good things about it. If you want to go off-camera, then you want the transmitter unless you want to go with two Godox flashes. Dunno about the Metz.

I wish Olympus flashes weren't so expensive. I use the FL600R because I paid so much for it in the beginning and don't want to spend even more for other flashes. One of these days I will, if I get more serious about off-camera multiple flashes.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Godox is the cats meow. Cheap, powerful, fully featured and great radio control that works, unlike my Olympus FL50r’s that were limited in remote capabilities to line of sight. Godox is fully compatible with Olympus cameras - including high speed sync. Full TTL auto control wirelessly. Good recycle time, especially the model with lithium rechargeable battery. Only feature it doesn’t provide is AF illuminator. You will definitely want the transmitter. It is cheap. I don’t have the Pro model and it works just fine.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a Nissin i40 that I use for macro. I really like the manual controlls, no menu to learn.
But for two seasons I used it a lot and both years it died from heavy use.

This year I am trying the Godox TT350o, dont like going back to a menu system but I hope for better reliability.
If this works out OK the price is very good.

I also have a Oly 600R, nice size little flash that I sometimes use for TTL only, menu too complicated for what I need, too many features.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Specifically for macro - I played around with RC mode but if you're also putting some diffusing material on your flash (and you should!) it can sometimes prevent the flash from seeing the trigger pulse, or I found that sometimes I'd accidentally hold the flash in a position that my hand interfered. So I switched to an off-camera flash cable.

Also you can honestly get pretty decent results just mounting the flash on the camera itself with some DIY diffuser spreading the light at the lens, lots of images/tutorials online like this - How to Build a Macro Diffuser

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
Thanks all for the feedback..

Seems like most folks think that the Godox is likely the way to go.. I’ll start with this option on-camera. If I think that off-camera is an avenue to explore, I can get the transmitter later.

thanks again
Dogbert62

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks all for the feedback..

Seems like most folks think that the Godox is likely the way to go.. I’ll start with this option on-camera. If I think that off-camera is an avenue to explore, I can get the transmitter later.

thanks again
Dogbert62
here’s something you may want to consider. Get this smaller flash first and a trigger for not much over a hundred dollars. this flash unit is equally featured to the larger Godox unit, has somewhere around the same power output of the smaller Olympus FL600, is very small and lightweight. If you like the system, you can add a second larger unit down the road. everything is compatible.

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Speedlite-Panasonic-Mirrorless-EACHSHOT/dp/B071LGX6ZC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Godox+Olympus&qid=1575642826&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Channels-Wireless-Transmitter-Panasonic/dp/B073JGV8QS/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=Godox+Olympus&qid=1575642826&sr=8-13

Last edited:

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
All,

Again... thanks to all for the helpful information

I ordered a Godox TT350o since it was 20bucks off for cyber week. I went sniffing around the used market as well and found a Oly FL-36R for $60 in supposedly excellent condition... so looks like I have covered all bases.... with that said... my guess is that you all are correct and the Godox will rule the long term

thanks again
Dogbert62

I chose godox as a flash "system" just based on the the number of products and new innovations, they seem to be constantly raising the bar and lowering the price.
I started also with the Godox TT350o. It does the job good enough for me at a cheap price. Later added the XPro trigger to use it off camera. It works just fine. Last week added a MS300 studio flash because I wanted to experiment with studio work.

It's a great system that you can build up. It works and is fairly cheap.

Real Name
Richard
I am now the proud owner of both systems. I will probably expand the Godox flashes and keep just one Olympus FL-50R strobe back.

The Olympus flashes have 'A' mode which doesn't send a pre-flash - you need this if you want pictures of the cat with it's eyes open.

Other than that, the Godox flashes are extremely well made - and for the cost of the Olympus FC-WR commander, you can buy 2x Godox TT350 and an XPRO controller (which by the way is also exceptionally well made and easier to read than anything else I've tried) and have some change.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom