1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL600R vs Metz 44 AF-1 flash for Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hsw21, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Hi Guys...
    What you guys think about the Metz 44 AF-1 flash for Four Thirds vs FL600R ?
    Which one worth getting (for general use, on camera, off camera), since the Metz is kinda cheaper.
    Im very new to MFT and also these flashes.
    Thanks.

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I can't imaging anything being better than the Metz 44 AF-1. I haven't had this new Oly one yet, but the Metz is one of those perfect pieces of kit to me. No locking buttons for swivel or tilt, simple manual operation, great build quality, powerful enough for most everything, and wireless compatible. There are no negatives I've found except power, but that's a size consideration as well, the 50 is just too large for me. The 44 AF-1 blows away the FL36-R in every aspect and that is from personal hands-on, side-by-side experience.

3. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    I've got the FL600R and it is streets ahead of the FL36R. The flash is compact, very fast to recycle and is powerful enough for most uses (I was outside using it to fill in for bright sunshine at 5-8m the other day and it wasnt at full power). I haven't tried the Metz 44 but did have the 58. I found the manual controls annoying and multiplied button presses to make simple changes. I don't know whether the 44 has the same control mechanism. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I've always preferred the dial approach on the Oly flashes.

They are both great units I'm sure. I'm glad I got the 600r but I definitely had to pay more for the privilege.

4. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I also purchased the Fl-600 flash and am very satisfied with it. I had to shoot an opening day event last Friday and I had no problems with lighting. I used my flash for doing some fill flash last night and using the settings of the E-M5 along with a Gary Fong Lightsphere, everything came out perfect. I liked that flash enough to purchase a second Fl-600 flash to use as a backup.

• Like Like x 1