1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-LM2 Flash change suggestion?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zulfur666, Dec 11, 2014.

1. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    So Olympus bundles the Olympus FL-LM2 Flash with most of their cameras (at least the E-M1 and E-M5) but I wonder what good it serves, it has a small range and is not very powerful. Plus if you have a longer lens mounted, it throws a shadow.
    Yes people use it to trigger remote bigger flashes.
    I for one use it and need it for Underwater photography in my Nauticam housing as it triggers the strobe via fibre optic cable. BUT as the recycle time is long, and the flash's reliability is not the best (had one fail) I much prefer Olympus perhaps replacing this flash unit with a LED flash.
    As the current Olympus FL-LM2 Flash is also used to trigger remote flashes, I would think a LED flash can achieve the same. On the plus side it would be more reliable (so I think) and cheaper. Any thoughts?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    You mention a LED flash, is this not a misnomer.

LED ligths are usually on or off using a switch in my experience, I stand to be corrected however.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Can you lower the power so it cycles faster?
    Try flash compensation.

Barry

4. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    look at your mobile phone it uses a LED Flash

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Or just switch it to manual and minimum power for triggering if you can get away with it.

6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Yeah don't use.