1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-LM2 Electronic Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Sep 14, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Unless I'm doing something wrong with the camera settings, I can't get the FL-LM2 Flash to work with my E-P2, or it isn't compatible, even though it attaches fine. A bit disappointing, as it would make a great little flash for the camera.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... it isn't compatible .....

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's what I assumed. I guess these cameras are too old to warrant a firmware upgrade.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I may be wrong, but every flash I'd seen used on an e-p2 was powered by a battery. Possibly the shoe isn't able to provide enough power for an unassisted flash...

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The power comes from the other connector. If that's able to power the VF-2, microphone etc, I'd very surprised if it couldn't power a small flash (it only requires 5V). Being such an antique camera (in today's terms), it most likely lacks the firmware to recognise the flash, which is a pity, as it's a nice size compared to the FL-14..

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So how much power does the VF2 require, and it would be constant vs a surge for the flash...would it not? I'm just guessing, I by no means have any engineering training. Just smart enough to get into trouble.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My VF-2 doesn't say what the power requirement is, but I'd guess it to be around 5V like most things of that nature. The flash itself will have a capacitor like all flash units, it simply doesn't have a battery to charge the capacitor, as that power comes from the camera. So in theory it should be able to work, as long as the camera had the right firmware to recognise the flash and provide power. Unfortunately, Olympus doesn't have a record of providing firmware updates to older cameras and lenses. After a certain timeframe, they just work on newer gear. Mind you, I don't know for certain that it could be possible, but you would think that it was, as Olympus must have been thinking of these things well in advance when they designed the connectors.