1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-600R

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Iansky, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have got the Oly FL-600R flash to use with my OMD kit and will initially be using a single source off camera lighting set up driven by RC.

I am considering using a shoot through umbrella and wanted to know if anyone else is using this type of set up and if so do they have any tips / suggestions.

I have previously used Stofen Omnibounce units when shooting with Nikon flash units but feel I would prefer the softer light shooting through an umbrella as well as the larger light source it offers.

Comments, suggestions and experiences all appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Ned is probably one of the forum members most fluent with off camera flash units. I can only vouch that it works; but radio control is a must. I recently used the small flash unit to control my FL600R in a small light box on boom stand and found that line of sight is strict. More so than my Canon system, which allowed me to fire flash units located behind me and concealed by umbrellas.

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks Savas,

I agree that the required line of sight is a pain but I can live with that for my intended use.

4. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    Experience with umbrellas and flash

I am brand new to MTH but have shot with flashes and umbrellas for along time using Nikon and SB 600, 800, and 910. The light is quite good and combined with a opposite reflector you get get very well lit images. A caveat is that because the umbrella spreads the light, flash power becomes an issue. I am unfamiliar with Oly flashes and their power. I would recommend a convertible umbrella that would let you shoot through as well as reflected.

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It is a lot more finicky than my Canon equipment. I will be following this thread as I would like to make this work for me too.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am awaiting the arrival of a Calumet umbrella (Ebay for £5.71), it allows both reflected and shoot through capability so offers variety.

I have done a lot of studio work when I lived overseas but we had really good multiblitz track light systems with softboxes / hairlights / background lights so all in all a very versatile studio.

My question is relating to more to specifics with this particular flash FL 600R and umbrella work, it has a GN of 50 at 200ISO so should allow enough power to light a H&S image at around f2.8 - 3.5 on the 45 f1.8 lens.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes it is. :) The FL-600R is half the power of the FL-50R (or similar units like the Canon 580EXII) so imagine it like using an FL-50R or similar at 1/2 power. You rarely need to go that high using shoot-through umbrellas anyways (granted I never shoot with only a single light so I may be a bit off on that). :)

The shoot through umbrella will produce much better results than the Sto-Fen. You have made the right choice.

I would not worry about the line-of-sight of the optical sensor. For me it's a non-issue because I prefer softboxes over umbrellas, so I can just swivel the flash head independent of the flash body. The umbrella mounts on the stand itself, so that is not an option. However, when I do use umbrellas I never really have a problem with the sensor catching. If you are having difficulty however, then the other option is to mount your flash backwards on the stand. Your FL-600R should be able to rotate all the way around, I believe. I'm assuming you're using it in an enclosed environment like a room or studio. In an enclosed environment without too much ambient light, those sensors will trigger from anywhere in the room.