1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus FL-600R

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by xdayv, May 12, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Anyone has this? What are your experiences with this flash?

If you can post a photo with the flash and body, would like to know how it looks. thanks!

2. davidleetong

davidleetong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    David from iPhotocourse.com
    Just got mine a few hours ago...

Very compact, light, and quiet flash... Controls are pretty straight-forward on the unit itself, as usual, Olympus menus will confuse things once you try to control it on-cam.

Still couldn't get the off-camera TTL wireless mode right for now, so I'll need a couple of hours to figure it out.

Recycling rate is pretty fast and silent, no complaints there.

Build is good, though I wish it swivels a little easier (a bit tight right now)...

Here's Olympus' official image

nr120208em5e_24. (you didn't mention what body hehe).

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    david, thanks for the helpful response ^^ I might get one of these little beasts for my cams (G3, GX1).

4. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    It's got some nice usability improvements over the 36R: it feels smaller, 4 batteries instead of 2 means it recycles faster, the rear panel interface is easier to use, and it has a lever lock instead of screw lock for the hotshoe.

The LED light is good for AF assist but it seems too small to be a serious video light. The built-in bounce card is about the size of a postage stamp and feels like it was an afterthought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davidleetong

davidleetong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    David from iPhotocourse.com
    I agree, the LED light was surprisingly weak...

I also don't like the fact that when using the pop-up flash as a transmitter, it always registers an exposure even if it's set to "off", my Canon/Nikons don't do that.