Olympus FL-600r or Nissin i40?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SojiOkita, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi everyone,

My question may not be easy as the Nissin i40 flash is not yet available.
    ( http://www.lightingrumours.com/nissin-i40-speedlight-announced-in-japan-5375#.Uy7se4X3nYy )
    The flash will be used with an Olympus E-M10.

I can get a Olympus FL-600r flash for a relatively low price (200€ instead of 350€, the equivalent Panasonic flash being available at 260€).
    I don't know how long the promotion will last, so there is a temptation to take it now;)

Based on the US price of the first Nissin models available for Nikon, I think its price would be around 250€.

The Nissin flash is announced for june and that's not a problem for me to wait until then.
    (however, it may be the availabily in US only... sometimes in Europe you've got to wait a lot more)

The Nissin flash is a little more powerful (not very important), a lot more compact, and has manual controls which are a lot more easy to handle, so on the paper that would be my first choice.

I'm not sure the FL-600R will be comfortable to use with the E-M10 even with the grip on.
    Maybe I'm wrong?
  2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    If maximum portability is your priority (which seems like it is), wait for the Nissin.

But IMO the FL600R is hardly an unwieldly flash. I use a YN560 on my Lumix G3 which is about the same size, and it doesn't feel like an encumbrance.
  3. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    It's not really a question of portability, when in the bag the difference won't be an issue.

It's more a question of handling the camera with the flash.
    The E-M10 is very compact, so I'm not sure it will be easy to handle with a flash of the size of the FL-600r.
  4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    I am using the FL-600 on the E-M10 and it feels just fine to me. I imagine that having the grip on the camera will help make it feel even more comfortable. The FL-600 is actually quite light so does not really feel unbalanced.
  5. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    Thanks for your answers.
    I made my choice... I ordered the Olympus.
    If I find it too heavy or too big to handle correctly, I think I can sell it without losing too much money, considering the habitual price.
  6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had FL-600 and couldn't stand the controls, cant' even see LCD in the sun, the backlit button activates the light for only a few seconds at a time. The LED light constantly blinks when used in RC mode. The flash is very top heavy on both E-PL5 and E-P5. IMO, very poor usability. I can't wait for Nissin i40 to arrive. Looking at the back, i40 has the best controls I've ever seen on a digital flash. For someone like me who uses flash in the sun all the time, direct manual controls on the flash are very important. Based on dimensions, Nissin is quite a bit smaller and a little lighter than FL-600R, yet allegedly has same power.