Olympus FL-600r or Nissin i40?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SojiOkita, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Hi everyone,

My question may not be easy as the Nissin i40 flash is not yet available.
    ( http://www.lightingrumours.com/nissin-i40-speedlight-announced-in-japan-5375#.Uy7se4X3nYy )
    The flash will be used with an Olympus E-M10.

I can get a Olympus FL-600r flash for a relatively low price (200€ instead of 350€, the equivalent Panasonic flash being available at 260€).
    I don't know how long the promotion will last, so there is a temptation to take it now;)

Based on the US price of the first Nissin models available for Nikon, I think its price would be around 250€.

The Nissin flash is announced for june and that's not a problem for me to wait until then.
    (however, it may be the availabily in US only... sometimes in Europe you've got to wait a lot more)

The Nissin flash is a little more powerful (not very important), a lot more compact, and has manual controls which are a lot more easy to handle, so on the paper that would be my first choice.

I'm not sure the FL-600R will be comfortable to use with the E-M10 even with the grip on.
    Maybe I'm wrong?

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    If maximum portability is your priority (which seems like it is), wait for the Nissin.

But IMO the FL600R is hardly an unwieldly flash. I use a YN560 on my Lumix G3 which is about the same size, and it doesn't feel like an encumbrance.

3. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    It's not really a question of portability, when in the bag the difference won't be an issue.

It's more a question of handling the camera with the flash.
    The E-M10 is very compact, so I'm not sure it will be easy to handle with a flash of the size of the FL-600r.

4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I am using the FL-600 on the E-M10 and it feels just fine to me. I imagine that having the grip on the camera will help make it feel even more comfortable. The FL-600 is actually quite light so does not really feel unbalanced.

5. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Thanks for your answers.
    I made my choice... I ordered the Olympus.
    If I find it too heavy or too big to handle correctly, I think I can sell it without losing too much money, considering the habitual price.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I had FL-600 and couldn't stand the controls, cant' even see LCD in the sun, the backlit button activates the light for only a few seconds at a time. The LED light constantly blinks when used in RC mode. The flash is very top heavy on both E-PL5 and E-P5. IMO, very poor usability. I can't wait for Nissin i40 to arrive. Looking at the back, i40 has the best controls I've ever seen on a digital flash. For someone like me who uses flash in the sun all the time, direct manual controls on the flash are very important. Based on dimensions, Nissin is quite a bit smaller and a little lighter than FL-600R, yet allegedly has same power.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.