Olympus FL-600R Flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RobDMB, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    What are the prevailing thoughts on this flash? I have an EM5ii and have been thinking of upgrading to a better flash over the one that comes with the camera. Figured something that would be better for indoor shots where i need more light - where i can avoid using a flash i typically do.

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I have it and like it a lot. The TTL works well with the camera and the flash has the tilting/rotating head I require. It is not small but small enough to fit in my normal camera bag if I pack one less lens. There are a few more powerful units available but I have never felt it to be under-powered for my normal shooting. It might not fit the bill for studio work or Joe McNally-style "light everything" but even then it can act as a commander unit for multiple flash set-ups.
  3. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    The FL600R is currently the top of the Olympus flash line now that the FL50R has been discontinued. It's also sold as the Panasonic FL-360L, which is what I actually bought...in the USA the Panasonic version was 25% cheaper. While some feel it's too large for on camera use, I find it matches well with my E-M10 which is one of the smaller m43 bodies.

The biggest advantage is full support of TTL flash, both on camera and using the RC system. Some strobes don't work with RC at all, some can only be slaves, some don't support all three channels, some don't support second curtain and FP modes. The ability to bounce in both portrait and landscape orientation (especially with the addition of a diffuser like a Sto-fen) creates very natural lighting indoors. Another useful feature is that it can be used on non m4/3 cameras as a non-TTL auto flash. Most dedicated flashes can only be used in manual mode on cameras from another manufacturer. Since I also have a Fuji X10, this was a big selling point for me.

I'm very satisfied with mine.
  4. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    How does it compare to the Nissan and Metz flashes? I see those mentioned at times as well.
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd take the FL600r over the i40 every time unless you a) absolutely had to have a longer zoom setting on the flash head or b) were really constrained by size and weight to the point where you would be counting every millimetre and gram of gear (or dollar). Otherwise I don't think there is any real contest between them. The FL600r has its own annoyances but the i40's downsides are completely infuriating.

Don't know about the metz.
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have the FL600R, the FL300R, and a Metz AF2-58.

The FL600R works pretty well but occasionally I find underexposure with TTL. I boost the flash +.3 or +.7 for better results IMO.

The Metz seems to be more powerful and I don't seem to have to boost the flash exposure like I do with the Olympus. Flash ratings are provided at different zoom levels so I am not sure of the exact comparison of output. I generally find this Metz to be a better flash than the FL600R as far as output goes. It is bigger, however and I do reach for the FL600R many times because it fits in my bag better.

The FL300R is nice and small. It is an upgrade over the standard flashes that come with the camera and it can be used off camera very easily. Obviously not as much power as the FL600R though but it is a cheap flash and easy to carry around.
  7. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    I have the FL-600R, 300 and a Metz 58-AF2 for Oly. I also have a Cactus flashes and shoot Nikon as well and have SB-900's and SB-910's.

• Build is top of the line.
    • Size fits the m4/3 concept (fits easily in the front pocket of a Hadley Small). The Metz is just too big for the system unless you need over the top power.
    • Functionality is seamless with the system and it also has a small LED light in the front.
    • Plenty of power for most everything you could need.

Indoors usually bounce it or if need be throw on a small ExpoImaging Roque softbox kit (made for m4/3 size gear), which folds flat and easily slides in the back of my Hadley Small when needed (I usually just leave it there).

I tend to carry the FL-300 for street work as I can throw it in my pocket for the occasional fill. Otherwise, this is my flash.
  8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    The FL-600R is a great flash - one stop less light than the FL-50r or Metz 58-AF2 and considerably smaller. I keep one with me most of the time. As a Remote Flash master it works a whole lot better than any of Olympus's smaller flashes. Just one gotta - spend some time working the controls on the back. For me and others the dial and moving to select choices doesn't seem to work as we thought - but a little practice makes it very workable.
  9. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Good tip. My camera flash setting is always at +.7. If I will be in close I drop it a bit.
  10. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I used my FL-600R off camera yesterday for the first time. I found I needed to bump up the exposure comp a bit as well. Some were good at +.3 others at +.7.
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) needs will vary depending on you subject's reflected light as read by the camera - that is the reason why we have FEC to use.