Olympus FL 600R Broken Plastic Base

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aukirk, Dec 25, 2012.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Since getting the Olympus FL 600R last month I have had no complaints and it has been working great... until my son broke it last night. As I was sitting with the camera in my lap, my son decided to jump into my lap and broke the plastic around the base/shoe of the flash.

I imagine the results could have been worse, as there was no damage to the actual camera. However, the plastic circle around the Lock lever has completely broken.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth trying to send it in for repairs, or just buy a new one? It looks like the entire base can be screwed off, but there are wires running into the flash from the camera connection end...
  2. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    Where are you based? If you're in the UK send it to Luton Cameras. I'm sure they could sort it out.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Do you mean get the flash repaired, or buy a new flash? If that's the question, get the flash repaired! To a certain extent, the shoe is designed to break before damaging the rest of the flash, or the camera. They are also rather simple to repair by replacing the broken part. Send it into Olympus.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeh.. you should probably get it fixed by Olympus quite easily.

Just broke mine the other day... so far superglue is holding just fine.

* My old flashes had replaceable shoes... easily done at home and replacements were dirt cheap. WHY NOT NOW Decades later?

* Why are we still using old shoe design?

As a side note:

So far the FL-600R is the MOST USEFUL most feature modern compact flash I have used thus far. Kudos to Olympus!!! Great size, packaging, and user inteface.... I use it on my Leica now (sometimes using it as an optical slave in a pinch). My only complaint!!!... in this day and age, there is absolutely no reason not to have an external battery pack option.
  5. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I tried super gluing it and it did not hold.... I will contact Olympus and see how much they are going to charge me for repairs, shipping, etc.
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is probably a bit off topic but as a father of three.... I've had Lots of Experience gluing plastics.

* I found that I like Superglue from Loctite works really well. Its also packaged in a nice bottle that helps with application and storage

* Superglue in GEL form SUCKs. Plain superglue that comes out thin and flows. You want it to flow into the nooks and crannies of the cracks

* Clean the surfaces well if possibly exposed to skin oils and such

1) I apply a thin coat on both sides of the crack surface. Press together with reasonable amount of pressure and hold until it sets. I blow to help the drying effect.

2) Once the pieces hold together on their own, I flow on some glue on the surface allowing the thin glue to coat the surface of the crack. Work both sides of the crack if possible. We want it to flow into whatever gaps that remain.

3) This is important, I let it sit over-night 12 hours+. Do not touch it... do not mess with it. Nothing.

4) The next day, I check it and flow more glue over any exposed cracks or areas that are obviously strained (plastics often discolor just prior to breaking apart). Again, let it sit for several hours to dry and set.

One side of the foot of my flash completely sheered off while the other side was cracked and bent. Luckly, the glue is holding and I used it last night with no problems. I'll have to see if it holds.

Hope your flash is repaired with haste.