Olympus Fl-600 Flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I am using the Olympus Fl-600 flash and I am a little puzzled about something. I have always shot with Nikon equipment, but this Olympus flash is getting to me. With my Nikon SB-900 flash, when I zoom out a lens, the flash will also auto zoom in accordance to my lens. The Olympus Fl-600 flash does not seem to do that, and I am wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere or if the flash is just not capable of doing that.

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Flash problems are still a problem

I am still having a problem with this flash. Here is my problem. Say I am using a lens that is a 40-150. The setting on the back of my flash shows that it will shoot at a distance from 2.4 feet to 39.6 feet. Now, when I zoom from 40-150, the flash will show 36.9 feet at 40 and zoom back to 2.4 feet at 40. It is just working backwards. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what setting is wrong. :frown:

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Flash problems are still a problem

I am still having a problem with this flash. Here is my problem. Say I am using a lens that is a 40-150. The setting on the back of my flash shows that it will shoot at a distance from 2.4 feet to 39.6 feet. Now, when I zoom my lens from 40-150, the flash will show 36.9 feet at 40 and zoom backwards to 2.4 feet at 150. It is just working backwards. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what setting is wrong.:frown:

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    " Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is."
    Not trying to be facetious; however, does it, then, really matter since the images are perfectly lit?

I quit trying years ago to figure out the "math" with cameras. I do enough of that in conjunction with my primary occupation as an engineer.

5. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I am sorry but I spent 30 years as a Middle School Counselor before taking a early retirement and little things like that just bug me. I finally figured out my problem, but I do not know why it is a setting in the OMD. By going to the Menu under A-AM/FM there is a setting called Focus Ring. I guess that it may be a setting because some lenses may turn to the left for zooming and some turn to the right for zooming. I just set it to the setting of zooming to the right and it is working perfectly.:2thumbs:

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Good to know that you were able to resolve that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.