1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus Fl-600 Flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrPhotoBob, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I am using the Olympus Fl-600 flash and I am a little puzzled about something. I have always shot with Nikon equipment, but this Olympus flash is getting to me. With my Nikon SB-900 flash, when I zoom out a lens, the flash will also auto zoom in accordance to my lens. The Olympus Fl-600 flash does not seem to do that, and I am wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere or if the flash is just not capable of doing that.

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Flash problems are still a problem

I am still having a problem with this flash. Here is my problem. Say I am using a lens that is a 40-150. The setting on the back of my flash shows that it will shoot at a distance from 2.4 feet to 39.6 feet. Now, when I zoom from 40-150, the flash will show 36.9 feet at 40 and zoom back to 2.4 feet at 40. It is just working backwards. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what setting is wrong. :frown:

3. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Flash problems are still a problem

I am still having a problem with this flash. Here is my problem. Say I am using a lens that is a 40-150. The setting on the back of my flash shows that it will shoot at a distance from 2.4 feet to 39.6 feet. Now, when I zoom my lens from 40-150, the flash will show 36.9 feet at 40 and zoom backwards to 2.4 feet at 150. It is just working backwards. I must have a setting wrong somewhere. Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what setting is wrong.:frown:

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    " Now, when I look at my images, all of my images are perfectly lit, no matter what the distance is."
    Not trying to be facetious; however, does it, then, really matter since the images are perfectly lit?

I quit trying years ago to figure out the "math" with cameras. I do enough of that in conjunction with my primary occupation as an engineer.

5. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I am sorry but I spent 30 years as a Middle School Counselor before taking a early retirement and little things like that just bug me. I finally figured out my problem, but I do not know why it is a setting in the OMD. By going to the Menu under A-AM/FM there is a setting called Focus Ring. I guess that it may be a setting because some lenses may turn to the left for zooming and some turn to the right for zooming. I just set it to the setting of zooming to the right and it is working perfectly.:2thumbs:

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Good to know that you were able to resolve that.