Olympus FL-50R vs Metz mecablitz 64 AF-1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KBeezie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    So I'm in the market to get a native flash that I can use on either my E-P3 or E-PM5, for quite some time now I've only used a Sunpak 5000AF which was originally meant for a Canon AF (many years ago I had a Canon Digital Rebel 300D 6.3MP when they first came out, so I had the sunpak for a while), but works on the Olympus in Auto (non-ttl), manual and strobe mode, so whenever I use it, I'm either matching up the aperture (like you would in a thyristor mode, similar to my Vivitar 283) or setting it manually with the ratio set.

The only other lighting I use besides that sunpak is a pair of photogenic powerlight 750 each with their own softbox which can either be triggered optically or by using a wireless trigger (ie: sits on hotshoe, and triggers a receiver connected to one of the strobes by pc sync cable). But also the little bitty popup flash that comes included with the E-M5 (which I never use, and won't work on the E-P3 anyways).

But for on the go, it would be nice to get a fully compatible TTL flash unit, but not sure if I want to get the Olympus FL-50R, or save a little over $100 with the Metz, I'm assuming the biggest thing I would lose is the wireless triggering capability that olympus has between camera and olympus flash units (especially if I plan on getting a second flash unit for more compact travel kit, to setup multiple lights).

Though the Metz seems to be more powerful, and has a faster recycle time.

Edit:
    Just noticed the 'over 100' less bit is because it's on educational discount (Where as the olympus model doesn't have an educational discount @ B&H), otherwise it's a $50 difference,and from researching it looks like the Metz is fully compatible with Olympus's wireless system.

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you do not need RC, then you can look for plain FL-50 - I got one here for $80. Good deal as they are around $120-$150 on ebay.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The FL-50 and FL-50R are no different other than wireless control?

Bit of heft on price just for that feature.

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    In short - yes. FL50 is also discontinued.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

You might also add the FL-600R to your comparison group. It is a generation newer than the 50R and I find the TTL to be the most accurate I have used. A bit less power but still a very capable flash unit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.