Olympus FL-50R vs Metz mecablitz 64 AF-1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KBeezie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    So I'm in the market to get a native flash that I can use on either my E-P3 or E-PM5, for quite some time now I've only used a Sunpak 5000AF which was originally meant for a Canon AF (many years ago I had a Canon Digital Rebel 300D 6.3MP when they first came out, so I had the sunpak for a while), but works on the Olympus in Auto (non-ttl), manual and strobe mode, so whenever I use it, I'm either matching up the aperture (like you would in a thyristor mode, similar to my Vivitar 283) or setting it manually with the ratio set.

The only other lighting I use besides that sunpak is a pair of photogenic powerlight 750 each with their own softbox which can either be triggered optically or by using a wireless trigger (ie: sits on hotshoe, and triggers a receiver connected to one of the strobes by pc sync cable). But also the little bitty popup flash that comes included with the E-M5 (which I never use, and won't work on the E-P3 anyways).

But for on the go, it would be nice to get a fully compatible TTL flash unit, but not sure if I want to get the Olympus FL-50R, or save a little over $100 with the Metz, I'm assuming the biggest thing I would lose is the wireless triggering capability that olympus has between camera and olympus flash units (especially if I plan on getting a second flash unit for more compact travel kit, to setup multiple lights).

Though the Metz seems to be more powerful, and has a faster recycle time.

Edit:
    Just noticed the 'over 100' less bit is because it's on educational discount (Where as the olympus model doesn't have an educational discount @ B&H), otherwise it's a $50 difference,and from researching it looks like the Metz is fully compatible with Olympus's wireless system.

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    If you do not need RC, then you can look for plain FL-50 - I got one here for $80. Good deal as they are around $120-$150 on ebay.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The FL-50 and FL-50R are no different other than wireless control?

Bit of heft on price just for that feature.

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    In short - yes. FL50 is also discontinued.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

You might also add the FL-600R to your comparison group. It is a generation newer than the 50R and I find the TTL to be the most accurate I have used. A bit less power but still a very capable flash unit.