Olympus FL-36R won't work on one camera, but does for my other?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by badastronaut, Jan 27, 2015.

1. badastronaut

badastronaut New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    Just picked up an used FL-36R and it works fine on my EP-1 but doesn't on my EPL-5!

What am I doing wrong? It doesn't fire in any mode (PASM) and flash doesn't fire in TTL or Manual mode.

EP-1 is perfectly fine.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sometimes there is a thin layer of insulation on the hot shoe that needs to be worn away - it prevents proper grounding so the flash can't work.

Aggressive and repeated mount/demount the flash 10-20 times should do it - or a light touch up with an emory board or something similar will work.

Could be something else but many have seen the above be the cause of the issue you have.

3. badastronaut

Aug 4, 2013
    Yikes.

Might make sense, even though it was bought used, it looks pretty fresh still.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Its possible the previous owner did not use flash in the hotshoe ever.

5. badastronaut

Aug 4, 2013
    Very possible. Looking closely at it there's no usual wear scratches and buttons are not greasy etc.

I have another theory....my EPL-5 trigger contact, the middle circle one, does not work. I've tried using a yongnuo flash and never fired, I just assume it was because simply yongnuo! Every other function on the flash with the EPL-5 works flawlessly, communicates with camera etc.

Any guesses if this would be an easy repair? Otherwise I might just sell the camera and get the new OM-D mk2....or EPL-7.