Olympus FL-36 on OM-D EM-10 Flash Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nublar, Nov 7, 2015.

1. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    So I finally got my dirty hands on an external flash. Have a few questions. Assume that I am in TTL-Auto FP mode and I set the flash EV separate from "regular" EV

1. Is the flash EV compensation in the SCP the same as the flash EV on the flash itself? I can set them independently and they are not linked when I change one or the other.

2. Is it worth it to get the Olympus CR-3 lithium batteries vs. NiMH? Seems like this is not made anymore.

3. My understanding is that TTL-A FP should only be used as fill flash in bright lighting conditions because it lets me use a higher shutter speed to make sure I don't overexpose? And if I go into a lower light situation where I would use a slower shutter speed, the flash won't know this and I have to switch to a non FP mode?

Thanks!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    (I have the FL-36R)

1. As far as I know

2. Good NiMH batteries will give a lot of flashes. Eneloops (Sanyo/Panasonic) are great as they'll hold a charge for many months.

3. FP is normally used to freeze motion.
    Some portrait photographers use ND filters with flash so they can shoot wide open in daylight for shallow DoF. If that's not your concern, close down the aperture and lower ISO.

Barry

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    1. Yes
    2. CR-V3, No
    3. You can use FP TTL Auto as a key light in bright light if the flash has enough power for the distance. It is more often used as a fill. FP is not used to prevent overexposure but to be able to synch multiple flashes with faster shutter speeds than what is possible with a single flash in the duration of the maximum shutter speed.
    In low light situations with this setting you will not get the maximum performance from the flash but it does work.

4. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Thanks for the replies. With respect to question 1, I looked in the manual and it says they are additive.

Also, a 4th question:
    4. Is there any way to get the AF lamp on the flash to work? Or does it only work on the 4/3 e-series?

Attached Files:

5. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    What I know FP mode is used when shutter speed is higher than flash sync speed (1/250 on EM10 or higher with non TTL flash), the power will be reduced.
    In my experience with it, especially for outdoor portrait in sunny bright day, f1.x aperture LOL ... the FL36 wasn't powerful enough, I haven't used FL50 or 4/3 Metz. Using ND will help.

The flash AF lamp only works on 4/3 camera I'm afraid, fortunately, still we can use EM10 AF lamp when we use flash.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you did this in Custom Menu F (set to OFF), then the values for exposure compensation and flash intensity will not be added together.